Banana Bran Muffins
I have been experimenting with bran muffin recipes for years and I believe this one is a great mix of healthy, moist, kid-friendly, and delicious. I always keep a batch of banana bran muffins in my freezer for lunches or snacks for my family (see freezing instructions below)!
Muffins like these are my go-to quick snack and my husband loves to grab one on his way to work. This recipe uses all bran or bran flakes cereal. You could even use raisin bran cereal if you love raisins in your bran muffins!
How to make banana bran muffins:
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, bananas, buttermilk.
- Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl.
- Stir into banana mixture and fold in all bran cereal.
- Fill muffin tins
- Bake at 350 degrees.
How to make these bran muffins healthier:
- substitute 1/4 cup applesauce for 1 of the eggs in the recipe.
- Use skim milk (and add 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice) instead of buttermilk
- Substitute half the flour with whole wheat flour
- Use 1/4 cup flour instead of 1/2 cup
Ways to adapt this recipe:
- Add nuts (your favorite kind, chopped)
- Add raisins or craisins
- Add shredded carrot or zucchini (a small handful, with moisture mostly removed)
- Add mini chocolate chips
- Add 1 tablespoon of orange zest
Storing and Freezing Bran Muffins:
Store banana bran muffins covered at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Banana bran muffins also freeze very well! To freeze, first allow the muffins to cool completely. Then place them in a freezer ziplock bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
To thaw the frozen muffins, allow them to come to room temperature or place one muffin in the microwave for 20 seconds.
Do you love Healthy Muffins? Try these popular muffin recipes:
Banana Bran Muffins
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large bananas , ripe, mashed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups all bran or 4 cups bran flakes or raisin bran
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans , optional
- Prepare a standard muffin tin with liners or spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar together well.
- Add the eggs, bananas and buttermilk and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda and salt; add to banana mixture along with bran cereal and stir just until moistened.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups.
- Bake at 350° for 16-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
*These are easy to freeze and taste great when you pull one from the freezer and microwave for 20 seconds.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I first shared this recipe March 2013. Updated July 2019.