This is the Dark Chocolate Cake of my DREAMS! Tender, moist homemade chocolate cake with the best smooth, rich, dark chocolate frosting.
Who’s ready for Valentine’s Day?! Being in the stage of life that we are– with two little toddlers and a newborn baby– I think it’s safe to say Jeff and I will be staying in this year. But honestly, I LOVE our “date-night in” nights. We cook a delicious simple dinner together (steak, baked potatoes and steamed veggies is one of my favorite reeaalllly easy romantic dinners) and of course enjoy dessert afterwards. I’m a sucker for something rich and chocolate-y, like this Dark Chocolate Cake. Jeff would probably prefer candy. We like to play 2-person card games like gin, which may sound totally silly, but it’s a blast! What are your favorite Valentine’s Day traditions?
I think I can confidently say I would choose this Dark Chocolate Cake over ALL other desserts on the planet (except, possibly, a delicious slice of Carrot Cake). Especially for a special holiday treat. There’s just nothing quite as tempting as a piece of homemade chocolate cake. And between the tender homemade cake and the rich, smooth and fluffy dark chocolate frosting, there is SO much to love about this cake! After I had made this and decorated it to share with you all on the blog, it literally took all of my self control just to get a few photos of it before enjoying a slice. Three layers of chocolate cake heaven!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (I love to use the Hershey's Special dark, but regular works)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/4 tsp teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup oil (vegetable or canola)
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 5 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1 /3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 12 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease three 9-inch cake pans (I like to cut a circle of parchment paper for the bottom of the pan to make sure it doesn't stick). Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Add milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix until well combined.
- Slowly add boiling water to the cake batter, while stirring. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute. The batter will be very thin.
- Pour cake batter evenly between the three cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack.
- Stir together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. In a separate mixing bowl beat the butter on medium speed until pale, about 2 minutes. Gradually add the sugar/cocoa mixture alternating with the heavy cream and vanilla, beating after each addition, until you reach your desired frosting consistency. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes, until creamy.
Never miss a post! Follow me on: