Since we’re getting close to the holiday where we celebrate our sweethearts, I’ll tell you a little something sweet about MY sweetheart. He always buys me the holiday Reese’s — he knows they’re my favorite and he usually finds a way to surprise me with some. Chocolate is truly the way to a girls heart ;-). Have you noticed that the holiday shaped Reese’s candy (like the pumpkin at halloween and the christmas trees at Christmastime) are way better than the regular Reese’s? They’re packed with twice as much peanut butter filling! That’s what I’m talking about!
Aren’t these Reese’s hearts the cutest! I love them, and they take these already amazing peanut butter cookies over the top!
So, I’m kind of a cookie snob. Ok not “kind-of”. I AM a cookie snob. I don’t think there’s anything worse than a crunchy, hard cookie! (Ok, washing a measuring cup that had peanut butter and/or shortening in it is worse. I hate washing those after recipes like this. But…..these are SOOOO worth it! ) Some people love crunchy cookies, but I’m definitely in the soft and chewy cookie lover group! These Peanut Butter Cookies are exactly that. And seriously, they are fantastic, if I do say so myself! I used a butter/shortening combination here because the shortening helps to keep them extra soft–and if you’ve made peanut butter cookies before you probably know that hardening is often a side affect in many recipes. But don’t worry, these little gems wont let you down in that department! And who doesn’t like Reese’s Peanut Butter candies??–especially smashed in a cookie! Double YUM!
The first time I made these I sent two in my husbands lunch. He called me right after eating them to declare they were his absolute new favorite cookie! I aim to please 😉
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup shortening (Crisco)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Additional white sugar for rolling
- 1 (12 oz) package Reese's Peanut Butter Hearts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl cream together butter, shortening, peanut butter, white sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Add and eggs, mixing after each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix gently to combine. (Don't overmix!--The dough will be very soft).
- Pour a little bit of granulated sugar into a bowl. Roll dough into 1/2 inch size balls and then roll in sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes, until set, but not browned. You really don't want to over-bake them or they will be hard. Remove from oven and allow to on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes, and then transfer to cooling rack. Add an unwrapped Reese's heart to the center of each cookie.
Looking for more fun Valentine treat ideas?