This Spinach Avocado Pasta Salad is not only DELICIOUS, it’s packed with vegetables and protein for a healthy meal or side dish. I love meals that taste great and leave my feeling full, for longer.
What’s not to love about this hearty, healthy Spinach Avocado Pasta Salad?
Spinach: yes please!
Chickpeas: Love them.
Tomatoes and avocados: make everything better.
This salad just works. It’s a beautiful blend of flavor and color and it’s completely delicious!
Pasta salad always hits the spot! I love it, and my family loves it, so I make different versions all the time.
If you’re looking for some other great, healthier pasta salad ideas, these are some of my favorites:
The one thing I really love about this salad, in particular, is how fresh and healthy it is. It’s filling too! The yummy, light lemon dressing adds the perfect touch of sweetness. I love to make extra to have in the fridge to feed everyone throughout the week.
FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
Spinach Avocado Pasta Salad
For the salad:
- 2 1/2 cups penne pasta (white, whole wheat, or other bite size pasta)
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup sweet onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 avocados , peeled, seeded and diced
- 15 ounce can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes , halved
For the Dressing:
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Place cilantro and spinach in a food processor and pulse a few times until they are finely diced. Add to a medium bowl.
- Stir in the garlic, onion, tomatoes, avocado, and beans. Add the cooked pasta, and stir to combine.
- Make dressing and pour over the top. Toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes to allow flavors combine.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe July 2015. Updated January 2018.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE this recipe and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
Do you have any suggestions for replacing the tomatoes? Thanks!
You can leave them out or use red bell pepper, cucumber, or even olives would be delicious!
Can you make this ahead of time and freeze it?
I made it with a red lentil penne pasta for a GF protein punch.
Made this salad yesterday, had it for lunch today. Wanted a clarification on “1 bunch of fresh cilantro”.. I bought “a bunch” from the store but that’s way too much for one recipe. I ended up taking out 1/2 cup of what I chopped and it was still too much.
Been cooking your recipes for years!
I had access to fresh cilantro straight from the garden. I used a modest amount (maybe 1/4 cup) and had no trouble tasting the cilantro.
Hi Lauren, can I substitute another herb for the Cilantro in the spinach avocado pasta salad, not a big fan of cilantro, and would love to make it as it looks amazing,
love pasta salad. thank you
You could add a little basil instead. Enjoy!
What’s great about this dish is that it can be used as a main dish, or a side. We have done both! It’s a perfect summer recipe and a great addition to any BBQ.
What amount is consided a serving is a serving?
Hi Deboarah, there are 5 servings in this recipe with each serving being about 1.5 – 2 cups. Hope you get to make it soon!
That sounds and looks delicious. A great summer dinner!
I love pasta salad! I make it a lot too. This recipe looks delicious. Pinning!
I LOVE that you added avocado!! I bet it would be just as delicious with GF pasta!