This Sour Cream Coffee Cake is not only incredibly EASY to make, it’s absolutely delicious! A tender crumb cake with cinnamon pecan topping. You wont be able to stop at just one piece.
Why I Love this Recipe:
1. Ingredients I have on hand. This recipe uses simple pantry ingredients which makes it perfect for an easy brunch or dessert.
2. The pecan topping. The topping is where this cake really shines. It’s layered both inside the cake and on top, adding the best cinnamon sweetness throughout, and the perfect crunch on top.
3. Enjoy it anytime of day. The cake is soft and tender without being overly sweet and I feel like it can pass as breakfast, brunch, or even dessert.
Why is it called coffee cake?
Coffee cake is a term given to foods that are intended to be eaten with coffee, or other brunch type foods. Imagine little cakes you would serve at a tea party or having coffee with a group of friends. There is generally not coffee in the actual cake but it is usually a sweet cake with light streusel or icing.
How to make Sour Cream Coffee Cake:
1. Cream butter and sugar. Add egg, sour cream and vanilla and mix.
2. Add dry ingredients: In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and mix just until combined.
3. Add ½ batter to pan. Make the pecan topping by combining the ingredients in a bowl. Spoon half of the batter into a greased 8×8 pan and smooth into an even bottom layer. Sprinkle half of the pecan topping over the batter.
5. Add remaining batter. Spoon remaining batter on top and smooth into an even layer. Sprinkle remaining topping mixture over the top.
6. Bake for 35-45 minutes. Check the mixture about half way through baking –you may want to put a piece of tinfoil over the top to keep the top from browning too much. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: This cake can definitely be made the morning of or even the night before. Store it on the countertop for 1-2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It does dry out easily so it tastes best made fresh!
Consider trying these popular brunch recipes:
- Cinnamon Roll Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Apple Coffee Cake
- Peach Scones
- Poppy Seed Cake
- Broccoli Cheese Quiche
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup salted butter 1 stick
- 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup pecans , chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Lightly grease an 8x8'' baking pan.*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine topping ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add egg and mix. Add sour cream and vanilla and mix.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and mix just until combined.
- Spoon half of the batter into your prepared pan and smooth into an even bottom layer.
- Sprinkle half of the topping mixture over the top. Spoon remaining batter on top and smooth into an even layer.
- Sprinkle remaining topping mixture over the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, or with few crumbs.
- Check the mixture about half way through baking --you may want to put a piece of tinfoil over the top to keep the top from browning too much.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe December 2016. Updated March 2020 with process photos and instructions.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.