These amazing Smothered Ranch Chicken Burritos are baked until crisp and then smothered in a creamy homemade ranch sauce.
I’m a sauce girl. Sauces for dipping, sauces for garnishing, and sauces for smoooothering. Everything is better with a sauce! Like pizza with fry sauce and biscuits with sausage gravy. Or, ice cream with caramel sauce and hot fudge.
If I’m going to eat a burrito, I prefer it smothered in a delicious sauce. This is evidenced by my many other smothered burritos, like these smothered green chile chicken burritos, and these smothered sweet pork burritos. Both are insanely delicious, and I’m so excited for these Smothered Ranch Chicken Burritos to join their ranks!
Some things to love about these burritos:
- They’re made with uncooked flour tortillas (my FAVORITE) and you don’t have to bake the tortillas first! Just load them with the chicken filling and bake them until perfectly crispy and delicious.
- Everything about this meal could be made ahead of time!
Make it ahead of time:
Make the chicken filling and the sauce a few hours or 1-2 days ahead of time and refrigerate them until you’re ready to assemble your burritos. Store them separately, covered in the fridge.
Make the burrito filling as instructed and roll up in tortillas (either uncooked or regular tortillas). Place in a freezer ziplock bag. Reserve the sauce and place in a separate freezer bag.
To cook, remove from freezer and place burritos on a greased baking sheet. Cover with tinfoil and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until warmed through and crisp on the outside. Add frozen sauce to a saucepan and warm. Serve over cooked burritos.
Consider trying these popular Mexican recipes:
Smothered Ranch Chicken Burritos
For the Burritos:
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts , cut into chunks
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup ranch dressing
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican blend cheeses divided
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro , chopped
- 6 8 inch uncooked flour tortillas (I prefer the tortilla land brand)
- diced avocados and tomatoes for topping, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Season chicken pieces all over with chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin and salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken pieces and cook, turning once, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove to a plate, allow to rest for a few minutes and then shred into small pieces.
- Place chicken in a large bowl. Add ranch, ½ cup of shredded cheese, and cilantro.
- Place a big spoonful of filling down the center of each tortilla.
- Bring the bottom edge of the tortilla tightly over the filling, folding in the sides and rolling it up into a burrito.
- Place burritos on lined baking sheet and brush them with olive oil or spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Bake at 400°F for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce by melting butter and olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes.
- Add cumin. Gradually whisk in chicken broth and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in ranch seasoning and sour cream.
- Remove burritos from oven and turn the oven to HIGH broil.
- Ladle a spoonful of sauce over each burrito and top with a handful of shredded cheese.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes, or is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven and top with diced avocados and tomatoes. Enjoy!
- You may also like Crispy Bean and Cheese Burritos!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
This post contains affiliate links.