My family loves this incredibly flavorful Slow Cooker Leftover Ham Bone Soup! The delicious homemade broth is packed with tender pieces of ham, white beans, bacon, zucchini, carrots and celery for a hearty and comforting, healthy meal.
I first shared this recipe a little over two years ago, and it has since become a very beloved recipe at our house. It’s one of my go-to meals after Easter dinner or to use up our Christmas ham.
Sometimes I’ll even go to Honey-Baked Ham just to buy one of their leftover ham bones so I can make this soup. Did you know they sell those? They are fairly inexpensive and still have quite a bit of meat left on them.
There are so many things I love about this soup, but mostly I love how much FLAVOR it has, and it’s healthy, loaded with vegetables, and simple too.
You start by placing your leftover ham bone in your slow cooker with bay leaves, garlic, peppercorns and water. Let everything slow cooker for at least 7 hours on low, or 3.5 hours on high.
When it’s almost finished, chop your veggies to get them ready to saute.
I added onion, celery, carrot, zucchini, potato and bacon.
You can chop these all in advance to make the prep faster, if you want. You can also adapt the recipe to add other veggies you like.
Saute the bacon first, and then the veggies.
Remove the ham bone and add the veggies, beans and spices to the slow cooker and let everything cook together for a few more hours.
If you’re in a hurry you could pour the broth and remaining ingredients into a saucepan and cook the soup until the potatoes are tender.
Consider trying one of these classic soup recipes:
- Spicy Chicken Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Taco Soup
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Chile Verde Soup
Slow Cooker Leftover Ham Bone Soup
- 1 leftover ham bone
- 7 cups water
- 20 whole peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 5-6 slices bacon
- 1 small onion , diced
- 2 ribs celery , chopped
- 1 medium zucchini , chopped
- 2 carrots , peeled and diced
- 1 russet potato , peeled and diced
- 2 cans great northern beans , rinsed and drained
- 1-2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1 1/2 cups leftover diced ham
- Place the ham bone, water, peppercorns, bay leaves and garlic in your slow cooker.
- Cook on LOW for 7 hours (if you want to, overnight) or HIGH for 3.5 hours.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Remove to plate.
- Get rid of most of the grease, reserving just a little in the pan.
- Add the chopped onion, celery, zucchini, carrots, and potato to the pan and saute for a few minutes.
- Remove the ham bone from the slow cooker. Remove any meat from it.
- Add the chopped ham (and any pulled from the bone), sautéed veggies, cooked bacon, and the remaining ingredients back to the broth in the slow cooker.
- Taste and add a little more of the spices, if needed. Cook on LOW for 2-3 more hours.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.