Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches with the most tender roast beef, melted provolone cheese and a toasted hoagie served with au jus.
We celebrated my daughters second birthday this weekend. Wow, I can’t believe she’s already two years old! We made breakfast for dinner (her favorite!) with 5 minute whole wheat pancakes, eggs and fruit and I made a cute frozen cake for her that I wish I would have taken a picture of!
On the weekend we took the kids to Chuck E. Cheese’s. My only memories of that place are from when I was little and they had the creepy mouse characters go on stage and perform, haha. We had heard from a friend that it was a little more low key these days and thought our kids might like it.
Best. Decision. Ever! Both of our kids were in HEAVEN and we had so much fun! Pizza, tokens and tickets galore us occupied for several hours and now my three year old is begging to go back for his birthday too.
Now that we’re back to the grind of a regular week, after a super busy weekend, I’m back in meal planning mode! Ya’ll know I turn to my crockpot at least once a week for meals. Everything from slow cooker soups to slow cooker lasagna–that tool has saved my bacon more than a few times!
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches are a huge favorite of my husbands. He would eat these weekly if I allowed it 😉 . They couldn’t be easier to throw together and the result is the most tender roast beef, melted provolone cheese and a toasted hoagie served with au jus that’s all made in the slow cooker!
A few tips for success:
Trim any large excess pieces of fat from your roast.
Allow the roast to come to room temperature before searing it. (I take mine out of the fridge for 15 minutes or so.)
Choose a good quality hoagie and good quality cheese!
We like swiss and provolone with these.
Serve with a salad, coleslaw or fresh cut veggies and, if you want, some oven french fries!
Consider serving this with:
- Cucumber Avocado Salad
- Classic Wedge Salad
- Brussels Sprout Salad with Cranberries and Pecans
- Easy Vegetable Dip
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- 3.5 pounds chuck roast
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 16 slices Swiss cheeses (or provolone)
- 8 hoagies or sub rolls
- 1 packet French Onion Soup Mix (dry)
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 1/3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup Coke (not diet)
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- Season all sides of the chuck roast with salt and pepper, oregano, and thyme.
- Add olive oil to a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add meat to the pan and sear on high heat for 30 seconds or so on all sides, just until lightly browned.
- Add meat to slow cooker and pour all “slow cooker” ingredients on top.
- Cook on LOW for 4 hours and then remove meat to a cutting board.
- Thinly slice the meat and then return it to the slow cooker and continue to cook on LOW for one more hour.
- When ready to serve, remove the roast to a bowl. Strain the liquid through a fine mesh strainer and reserve it for dipping the sandwiches in.
- Preheat oven to Broil. Slice rolls in half and lightly butter one side. Add a few slices of meat to the other side and two slices of cheese on top.
- Place in oven on High Broil until the cheese melted and bread is golden. Serve with reserved au jus.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.