This German Chocolate Brownie recipe is so easy to make from scratch and is the perfect mix of chocolate brownie, coconut, chopped pecans, and all the caramel goodness.
German Chocolate Brownies
These amazing German chocolate brownies were really inspired by two things:
First, my LOVE for the coconut pecan frosting that goes on German chocolate cake. It’s absolutely amazing and pairs as deliciously with homemade brownies as it does a delicious chocolate cake!
Second, if you’ve ever been to Kneaders bakery you may have noticed the German Chocolate Brownies in their dessert case. I’m not kidding, every time I’m there that is the only dessert in the case that makes me drool! I knew they’d be even better homemade, and oh boy, they really are!
What is German Chocolate?
The term “German chocolate” can refer to several different things. It might refer to chocolate manufactured in Germany, a German chocolate cake, or to baking chocolate. What makes these brownies “German chocolate brownies,” is the delicious coconut pecan and caramel frosting.
How to make homemade German Chocolate Brownies:
The base for these brownies is my really simple one bowl brownie recipe. While the brownies are baking, make the german chocolate frosting by combining the sugar, butter, egg yolks, and milk in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir it for several minutes, until it thickens.
Remove it from heat and stir in the vanilla, pecans, and coconut. Spoon the frosting on top of the brownies and enjoy!
This delicious coconut pecan frosting is what I use to make my popular German Chocolate Cake recipe. It’s addicting, and I could eat it plain, with a spoon! Keep it mind that the frosting will thicken as it cools. You can also make it a few days in advance, stored in the fridge.
Consider trying these popular desserts:
- German Chocolate Cake
- Snickerdoodles Bars
- Mississippi Mud Brownies
- Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake
- Mrs. Fields Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Apple Crisp
German Chocolate Brownies
For the Chocolate Brownies:
For the Brownies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13'' pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, pour oil over cocoa powder and mix. Add softened butter and mix until smooth. Add sugar and mix for 1 minute.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add vanilla and mix. Add flour and salt and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
For the German Chocolate Frosting:
- In a medium saucepan add brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, egg yolks, and evaporated milk. Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a low boil over medium heat. Stir constantly for several minutes until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, nuts and coconut. Allow to cool completely.
- Once the brownies have cooled, cover the brownies with a layer of German chocolate frosting.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
This post contains affiliate links.