Frozen Hot Chocolate is a refreshing icy cold version of hot chocolate! It’s made with real melted chocolate, hot cocoa powder, milk, and ice blended and topped with whipped cream.
Want more frozen treats? Try my Chocolate Milkshake or Mochi Ice Cream!
Once the summer heat hits this amazing Frozen Hot Chocolate recipe is a regular favorite at our house and tastes just as good as the one at Serendipity in NYC! It’s made with Real melted chocolate to give it a boost of richness and flavor. Best of all, it’s easy to make with just 5 ingredients and 15 minutes of your time.
- Chocolate: use good quality chocolate (milk chocolate or semi-sweet) that melts easily.
- Hot Chocolate Mix: or make your own, from scratch.
- Granulated Sugar: use more or less, to taste, depending on how sweet you’d like it.
- Milk: the higher fat, the creamier the drink will be.
- Optional Toppings: Whipped Cream and shaved chocolate
How to make Frozen Hot Chocolate:
- Chop and Melt chocolate in microwave on half power, in 20 second increments, stirring until smooth.
- Stir in hot chocolate mix and sugar. Add ½ cup milk and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Blend with some more milk, a few cups of ice, and the melted chocolate mixture until smooth.
- Serve immediately, topped with fresh whipped cream.
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
This treat is best made fresh, but any leftovers could be frozen, and then re-blended when ready to eat.
FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
Frozen Hot Chocolate
- 4 ounces high quality semi-sweet chocolate , or milk chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon store-bought hot chocolate powder*
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3-4 cups Ice cubes
- Whipped Cream for topping, optional
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces and melt in the microwave on half power, stirring every 20 seconds.
- Once melted, add hot chocolate powder and sugar, stirring until well blended. Slowly stir in ½ cup milk, stirring until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- In a blender, add the remaining 1 cup milk, chocolate mixture and ice. Blend well until smooth. Taste and add more ice if you want it thicker, and another spoonful of hot chocolate mix if you’d like it sweeter.
- Serve immediately, topped with sweetened whipped cream and chocolate curls, if desired.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE this recipe and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
Process photos by Nikole of The Travel Palate.
I originally shared this recipe July 2018. Updated July 2021.
Can this be made in a milkshake maker ?
This is the first time I have had frozen hot chocolate and it was so good! Thank you!
Thanks for the recipes. I was actually looking for one for frozen hot chocolate! This one is perfect! Have a great week!
His is a delicious way to enjoy hot chocolate when you don’t want it to be super hot or it’s to hot to have it, it’s better than chocolate milk because it’s icy and just tastes better overall.
Can you add peanut butter to it and how much
This is one of my favorite recipes because it’s quick, easy, and the frozen hot chocolate is delicious. Thanks for sharing it!
I used dark chocolate chips, 1 tbsp of sugar (instead of 2), and vanilla almond milk! Delicious and dairy-free!
One word… YUM!! My daughter LOVED it!
Delicious! Perfect for what I was craving!
It tastes just like at sheetz!
Thanks Megan! This was really helpful for me in making my frozen hot chocolate!❄️🍫My kids really liked this after their soccer game in my mom van!⚽️🚐
I love this recipe! It’s quick, easy to make, and absolutely delicious. I’ve made it twice in three days and can’t get enough. Thank you so much for sharing it!
I just made this on a lazy morning and it was delicious! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe with us!
I’m so glad you liked it. Thanks for commenting!
With this recent heatwave, I’ll try anything frozen or chilled. I made this for my kids and they absolutely loved it! It was the perfect summer treat for a hot summer day. We’ll be making again.
Thanks Diana! I’m so happy it hit the spot on a hot day 🙂
This is a terrible recipe! I followed the recipe EXACTLY and it turned out to taste EXACTLY like pure chocolate syrup. Also the consistency was very watery and chunky please do not make this recipe! I almost puked!
This was SO GOOD! I have tried frozen hot chocolate before that was just milk, hot chocolate powder and ice. The melted chocolate you call for in this recipe really made the difference. Thank you!
Just made this with my kids and a few of their friends and it was hit with everyone! I used semi-sweet chocolate chips.