Layers of chocolate, mini pretzel twists and Reese’s pieces candy are topped with a yummy homemade peanut butter sauce. These Chocolate and Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars are the perfect sweet and salty treat.
Life has been crazzzy busy at our house lately. Namely, my little three-month-old has torticollis. It’s not a huge deal and hopefully will be easily fixed with some physical therapy over the next few months.
My toddlers are out of preschool for the summer so my days have been turned upside down with mom duties. Like I told my husband when he called during lunch-time and asked what we did that morning: “Nothing, and everything”.
“Nothing” meaning nothing super exciting because we were busy doing “everything”–laundry, potty training (which means exxxtra laundry) feeding hungry kids, stretching exercises with baby etc. There is no more important job in the world than being the mama of these special kids, but boy do these three keep me BUSY.
Luckily my kids all sleep amazing and go to bed early. So come 7:30pm I have a quiet home and plenty of R&R.
Friday night is date night with the Jeff. Whether we go out or dine-in, we always like to share a sweet treat at the end of the night. With how tired I’ve been lately, it’s all I can manage to open the freezer and sneak a few frozen chocolate chips for us. PATHETIC, I know 😉 .
He recently requested these simple chocolate and caramel pretzel bars, so I decided to make a little twist on that recipe and add peanut butter! Best decision ever.
Some tips for this recipe:
Start with some melted chocolate. I like the ghiardelli brand of chocolate chips, for melting, or you could even melt a couple of Hershey’s chocolate bars.
Smooth the melted chocolate onto parchment paper.
Throw on some mini pretzel twists and a sprinkle of some Reese’s pieces (one of my favorite candies!). The pretzels don’t need to be in an even layer.
Make the peanut butter sauce and drizzle it generously over the pretzels and candy. This is what makes everything stick together! I like to use smooth peanut butter, but if you want some peanut bits in your bars you could use chunky peanut butter.
Top the bars with some more melted chocolate and allow it to set up in the fridge. YUM! Only a few ingredients and then end result is a totally yummy, sweet and salty treat.
Layers of chocolate, mini pretzel twists and Reese's pieces candy are topped with a yummy homemade peanut butter sauce. These Chocolate and Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars are the perfect sweet and salty treat.
- 12 ounces good quality semi-sweet chocolate chips ,divided (I like Ghirardelli brand best for melting)
- 8 ounces mini pretzel twists ,half of a regular 16-ounce bag
- 1 4 oz box Reese's Pieces candy
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt 8 ounces of the chocolate chips gently in the microwave (on low heat, stirring every 15 seconds) until smooth. Spread the chocolate evenly over the parchment. Immediately add the pretzel twists and Reese's Pieces over the top (it's ok if they overlap a little) and gently press them into the chocolate.
- For the peanut butter sauce:
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat add honey and sugar and stir well to combine. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 full minute, stirring. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Drizzle the peanut butter sauce over the top of the pretzels and candy. Melt remaining 4 ounces of chocolate and drizzle on top.
- Refrigerate until hardened.
- Cut or tear into pieces. Store in the fridge.
Never miss a post! Follow me on:
This post contains affiliate links. I love sharing my favorite products and cooking tools with you guys!