This simple and delicious Skillet Cornbread uses simple ingredients and is baked in the oven in a skillet.
In one of my very first posts (we’re talking years ago..when my mom was the only person out there that read my blog 😉 ) I shared my absolute favorite Chili and Cornbread recipe. Since then, the cornbread recipe has become a reader favorite, and I’m so happy about it! I’d dare to say it’s the best cornbread EVER!
Making this cornbread as a side is like making my favorite cake and eating it for dinner 🙂 It’s dang gooooood.
Anyways, one of my readers emailed me wondering if it would make a good skillet cornbread. She ended up trying it out, with great success, which made me antsy to do the same! Cuz, let’s be real, the only thing that could make that cornbread recipe even better would be successfully making it in a skillet! I tried it and it was totally true. Best Cornbread Ever. The end.
Consider serving this with one of my favorite soups!
- Spicy Chicken Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Taco Soup
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Chile Verde Soup
The BEST Skillet Cornbread
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (*see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or wheat flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Melt butter in large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended.
- Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan.
- Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain.
- Pour batter into a greased 10'' cast iron skillet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.