Add some American pride to your summer bbq or potluck with these easy Patriotic Sugar Cookie Bars! They’re thick, soft and chewy Fourth of July cookies decorated with red, white and blue sprinkles and candy. They have all of the great taste you love from a homemade sugar cookie, but they’re much easier and faster to make since you don’t need to chill or roll out the dough. These are the perfect easy cookie bars to make for a crowd!
When I’m trying to think of a dessert to bring to a summer party of BBQ I usually always turn to cookie bars. They’re easier than cookies (no rolling or chilling) and they’re great for a crowd. You can even transport them in the pan you baked them in, and cut them and serve them at the party.
Just like with sugar cookies, be careful not to over bake these sugar cookie bars. They will be pale in color, just barely set and will continue to set up in the pan as they cool.
Once they are cool you can smooth the frosting on top and add red and blue M&M’s, sprinkles, and white chocolate chips.
The beauty of sugar cookie bars is that they’re just as delicious as sugar cookies, without all the work! No chilling, no rolling, or cutting. The frosting is homemade and we all know that store-bought frosting doesn’t hold a candle to an easy homemade frosting. Add some red white and blue sprinkles and candy on top and you’ve got yourself the easiest Fourth of July summer treat!
Looking for more Red, white and blue dessert ideas? Try these:
Patriotic Sugar Cookie Bars
For the bars:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13'' baking pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix just until combined.
- Press the sugar cookie mixture gently into an even layer into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes--DON'T over-bake! You'll be tempted, but the bars should just be barely set in the center and the edges wont be browned at all.
- Allow the bars to cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
- Add the butter and 2 cups of powdered sugar to a mixing bowl and cream together with an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add remaining powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Add as much milk as needed to reach a good soft frosting consistency.
- Smooth frosting over the bars and sprinkle with toppings.
- Store bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days and in the refrigerator up to 5.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
*I originally shared this recipe June 2016. Updated June 2018.
This post contains affiliate links.