This delicious Lox Bagel recipe only takes 5 minutes to make, with your favorite bagel, herb cream cheese, smoked salmon, red onions, capers, and fresh dill.
Love seafood recipes? Try this Tuna Melt, Cioppino Stew, Fish and Chips, or Easy Homemade Crab Cakes!
I’ve been lucky enough to have some pretty amazing Lox Bagels in my life, including from some very popular New York bagel shops, but making them at home is so easy and fun! High quality, fresh ingredients are the most essential part, and the rest takes just 5 minutes of your time.
- Fresh Bagels: we enjoy plain flavor, sesame or everything bagel flavors. Grab them from a good bakery or bagel shop if you can! (You could buy a dozen, seal them well, and store them in the freezer.)
- Lox or Smoked Salmon: Use either for this recipe. If using smoked salmon, buy cold-smoked salmon that is moist and silky, NOT hot smoked salmon that is cooked through and firm. I use Wild Nova Salmon, deli sliced, found near the refrigerated seafood section of the store.
- Cream Cheese: I love herb, veggie, or chive and onion cream cheese blends, but plain cream cheese is also delicious.
- Capers: required for a good bagel and lox! The salty, briny flavors of the capers are the perfect complement to the cream cheese and salmon.
- Red Onion: Just a little, thinly sliced, is also crucial for a great smoked salmon bagel.
- Fresh Dill: the cherry on top, and essential, in my opinion!
How to make a Lox Bagel:
Slice Bagels: Cut open bagels and spread each half generously with cream cheese.
Add Toppings: Place thin slices of smoked salmon on top, then a few slices of red onion, capers, and a sprinkle of fresh dill.
What is Lox?
Lox is a fillet of salmon that is then brined, and can be smoked or not. It is often served on a bagel like this lox and bagels recipe.
What are Capers?
Capers are the edible flower buds that come from the caper bush (Capparis Spinosa). They are often pickled and add a delicious tangy flavor to dishes. They are most often used in Mediterranean or Italian recipes. (You’ll find them in my Chicken Piccata, and Tartar sauce.)
More Fun Seafood Recipes:
- Poke Bowl
- Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Crab Dip
- Spanish Paella
- Cedar Plank Salmon
- Shrimp Tacos
- Authentic New Orleans Gumbo
Follow me for more great recipes
- 6 bagels
- 2/3 cup herb and chive flavor cream cheese , or plain
- 10 oz cold smoked salmon or lox slices
- 3 Tablespoons capers
- Small chunk of red onion , thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh dill , chopped
- Other optional toppings: thinly sliced cucumber, tomato, avocado
- Cut open bagels and spread each half generously with cream cheese.
- Add thin slices of smoked salmon on top. Top with a few slices of red onion, capers and a sprinkle of fresh dill. You could also make it into a lox bagel sandwich.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
You’re right – just as good (if not better) than anything you can find in a restaurant. So easy and delicious!!