I’m confidant this delicious Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe will be your family’s new favorite! It’s so flavorful and healthy too, loaded with vegetables, protein and fiber from the carrots, celery, bell pepper, onion, black beans and chicken. It makes an easy instant pot soup and can be made in the slow cooker too.
Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
The weather is starting to cool down and I can feel fall in the air. I understand that soup can be enjoyed all year round, but something about the crisp fall weather just puts me in a soup-loving mood. I’ve also fallen more and more in love with my instant pot lately, so what better combination than instant pot soup? This recipe comes together super fast and your instant pot does most of the work for you. Learn all of my instant pot tips!
This chicken enchilada soup also provides a great balance between creamy and healthy. It’s got plenty of fiber, protein, and vegetables but still has that creamy “comfort food” taste.
How to make make chicken enchilada soup in the instant pot:
Start by browning the chicken thighs on both sides in the instant pot. Remove the chicken to a plate, and then saute the vegetables in the instant pot.
I love how this soup has so many hidden veggies in it, including onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and bell pepper.
Turn off the instant pot and add the spices and diced tomatoes. Place the browned chicken thighs on top and pour in the chicken broth.
Place the corn tortillas on top–you don’t even need to chop them up.
Secure the instant pot lid and cook the soup on high pressure for 10 minutes with a 12 minute natural release.
Remove the chicken and shred it. Puree the soup in a blender (if desired), and then add the shredded chicken, black beans, green chiles and cream to the pot. Enjoy!
CAN I USE CHICKEN BREASTS INSTEAD OF CHICKEN THIGHS?
I have found that chicken thighs cook much better in the instant pot than chicken breasts (chicken breasts that are pressure cooked can dry out easier and have a chewier texture). For that reason I highly recommend using chicken thighs. However, if you choose to use chicken breasts cook on high pressure for 8 minutes, with a 10 minute natural release.
Don’t have an instant pot? You can make this enchilada soup in the slow cooker or stove-top.
DON’T MISS MY OTHER FAVORITE INSTANT POT RECIPES, INCLUDING:
- Instant Pot Skinny Fettuccini Alfredo
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Bowls
- Instant Pot Ranch Chicken Pasta
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
- Instant Pot Ribs
- Tomato Basil Soup
- Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya
- Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 4-5 skinless chicken thighs (bone in or boneless)
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1 onion , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 carrots , chopped
- 2 ribs celery , chopped
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 6 yellow corn tortillas
- 1 can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Turn instant pot to Saute setting. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan.
- Add the chicken thighs and sear the chicken for 1-2 minutes on both sides, just until brown. Remove to a plate.
- Add a little more oil to the pan, scraping up any browned bits. Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and bell pepper and saute for 2 minutes.
- Turn instant pot off. Add the chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, and paprika. Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken broth and diced tomatoes and stir. Add the chicken thighs and corn tortillas (just press the entire corn tortilla(s) into the soup mixture).
- Cook on Manual/High Pressure for 10 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release for 12 minutes, and then do a controlled quick release.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and shred the meat.
- (This step is optional, but I really like it to make a smooth soup.) Ladle the soup from the instant pot into a blender, in batches, and blend until smooth.
- Return pureed soup to the instant pot, along with shredded chicken, black beans, green chiles, and cream. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, if needed.
- Topping suggestions: green onions, sour cream, cheese, avocado, cilantro, and crushed tortilla chips.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.