Creamy Tomato and Spinach Tortellini is Cheese tortellini in a creamy, homemade tomato sauce with spinach, basil, and fresh parmesan cheese.
I’m nearing the end of my pregnancy and to say I’m exhausted by the end of the day barely describes how tired I feel! I’ve become the queen of quick and easy 30-minute meals–which will totally come in handy once this baby girl arrives! This Creamy Tomato Spinach Tortellini is so simple and easy to throw together.
It’s similar to this Creamy Tomato Pasta dish that I also really love, but this one has a slightly different sauce, and uses tortellini. It’s the perfect meal to use up all of your fresh garden tomatoes (but you can substitute canned tomatoes for fresh, if you want!). Yummy cheese tortellini covered in a creamy homemade tomato sauce!
Consider trying these tortellini recipes:
- One Pan Creamy Lemon Chicken Tortellini
- Roasted Red Pepper Tortellini Pasta
- Vegetable Tortellini Soup
- Creamy Pesto Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Southwest Tortellini Pasta Salad
Cheese tortellini in a creamy, homemade tomato sauce
- 1 20 oz. pkg Three cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2-3 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups fresh diced tomatoes*
- 1 cup reserved pasta water*
- 1 1/2 cups (packed) chopped fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh parmesan , plus more for serving
- Red pepper flakes , for serving (optional)
- Cook tortellini according to package instructions. Before draining the water that cooks the tortellini, reserve 1 cup of the pasta water. Drain tortellini and set aside.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, add butter and cook until melted. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
Whisk in flour and onion powder and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. While whisking, slowly pour in milk and cream, and whisk until smooth.
Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to simmer.
Add tomatoes, reserved pasta water, spinach, basil and oregano. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (Taste at this point and add more seasonings if desired).
Cook for a few more minutes, until spinach has wilted and sauce has thickened. Add parmesan cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cooked tortellini. Serve with extra parmesan sprinkled on top, and crushed red pepper, if desired.
*You could use 1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes in place of the fresh tomatoes and reserved pasta water.
Adapted from All Recipes
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.