The ultimate easy meal that will impress family or guests is this Creamy Lemon Chicken Piccata! The chicken is lightly breaded and pan-fried resulting in tender, juicy chicken with a crisp coating and served with a creamy lemon caper sauce.
We’re going for amazing homemade Italian here, and I can tell you right now that Chicken Piccata (pick-ah-tah) wil be a winner every time! If you’ve ever had it at a restaurant you may have had chicken or veal and it’s typically breaded, fried and served with a creamy sauce. It’s a popular recipe found at many Italian restaurants (sometimes called Chicken Limone) but it’s SO easy and yummy made at home. Serve it over mashed potatoes or angel hair pasta with roasted veggies on the side.
What I LOVE about Chicken Piccata:
- 30 minute meal
- Kid friendly. My kids LOVED this meal (capers and all!). They were literally licking their plates clean. And I’d dare to say it is just as delicious as the version at Brio, and very easy to make.
- Fancy but not fancy. This easy meal looks like you spent days in the kitchen but it comes together so fast!
How to Make Lemon Chicken Piccata:
1. Slice chicken Breasts. Slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally (“butterfly” cutting them) so that you’re left with 4 thin chicken breasts. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Dredge Chicken. In three separate bowls, prepare a beaten egg, flour, and breadcrumbs for dredging. Coat the chicken on both sides in the flour, then egg wash, and then breadcrumbs.
3. Pan fry. Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Set aside onto a plate.
4. Make sauce. To the same pan, add chicken broth, cream, juice from both lemons, and capers. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Allow the sauce to cook and bubble for about 3-5 minutes. Return chicken to pan and coat with sauce.
- Roasted Vegetables
- French Green Beans
- Side salad
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts
- Homemade Rolls
- Homemade Olive Garden Breadsticks
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 lemons
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup capers
- hot cooked pasta or mashed potatoes for serving
- Slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally ("butterfly" cutting them) so that you're left with 4 thin chicken breasts. Season with salt and pepper.
- Beat the egg in a shallow bowl with 1 tablespoon of water. Add the flour to another shallow bowl, and the breadcrumbs to a third shallow bowl.
- Coat the chicken on both sides in the flour, then egg wash, and then breadcrumbs.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Set aside onto a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add chicken broth, cream, juice from both lemons, and capers. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Allow the sauce to cook and bubble for about 3-5 minutes. Return chicken to pan.
- Serve the chicken and sauce over mashed potatoes or hot cooked pasta.
Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman.
I originally shared this recipe December 2015. Updated February 2020 with process photos and instructions and a new video.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.