My kids, of course, usually eat waffles with syrup and butter on top, so it took a little work to convince them to try these savory waffles. In the end, both the cornbread waffles and chili were a big hit!
However, you can definitely enjoy cornbread waffles without chili, and simply serve them with butter and honey on top.
What to serve on cornbread waffles:
- Homemade Chili
Check out these popular dinner recipes:
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
Cornbread Waffles with Chili
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 Tablespoons oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 2 large eggs
- Your favorite chili
- Optional chili toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped green onion
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add milk, oil, and eggs and stir until smooth, but don't over-mix.
- Spray waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour batter onto hot waffle iron and bake in batches.
- Serve with chili over top, if desired, garnished with shredded Cheddar, sour cream and chopped green onion.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this post September 2013. Updated August 2019.
This was such a fun way to have cornbread with chili! We all enjoyed it.
Does this recipe make 5 waffles? How many waffles per serving?
Have you ever made them and frozen them? Or made them in advance?
They freeze great! I reheat them in a toaster oven or in the oven!
Made these and they were delicious. I added shredded cheddar cheese and diced jalapeños. So yummy!
Absolutely wonderful! Easy to make, tasty, and will easily become a go to for me from now on, for any meal. Made my very Swedish version of chili to go overtop, and it was the best thing I’ve had all week. Can’t wait for a leftover waffle sandwich for breakfast!
I made this for company tonight and it was deli. I made it with the chilli from this website which was also excellent….the waffle was a really great compliment to the chilli..
WHOA this looks amazing! Okay, so glad I bookmarked it and I’m actually going BACK through my bookmarks to cook new recipes!
How do you “bookmark” them?
Hi there! If you are on your phone…look at top right there should be 3 dots that open up a menu. It will either say bookmark or have a simple star to add to favorites. You can also alternatively add to your home screen. Best of luck
We made these waffles for breakfast and instead of chili, we put bacon pieces and cheese inside. Life changing! Thank you!
See More Comments