There’s nothing like a delicious foil pack recipe to make dinner a breeze, and these Chicken Fajitas Foil Packets are one of our favorites! Seasoned chicken, rice, bell peppers, and onion cooked together in tin foil for an easy all-in-one tin foil dinner. Cook them on the grill, in a campfire, or even in the oven, so you can enjoy them all year round.
Just when I thought one pan meals were the best option for quick and easy dinner, foil packet dinners are making a comeback! Foil packets are meals cooked inside an envelope of tinfoil, on the grill, in the oven, or in a campfire.
To make foil packs (or “tin foil dinners” as well called them growing up), all you need is your recipe ingredients–usually a piece of meat and some vegetables–and a large piece of tinfoil.
Fold the sides of the tinfoil up to make a closed pouch, and you’re ready to go. You’ll have a delicious meal cooked in minutes, with no clean-up or dishes required!
I’m totally obsessed with these chicken fajitas cooked in foil packs, because it’s an all-in-one meal. We’ve got our seasoned chicken and vegetables, but I’ve also added rice! Yes, you can cook rice in a foil packet! I chose to use minute rice because it will steam and cook perfectly in tinfoil. You could also use regular rice, as long as your pre cook it for half of the time you normally would, before adding it to the tinfoil.
How to make chicken foil packets with rice:
Start by mixing the rice, water and 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning together. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes, to allow the rice to absorb some of the liquid.
Cut your chicken breasts against the grain, into thin slices. Cut the bell peppers and onion into slices.
Season the chicken and vegetables with oil and the remaining taco seasoning.
Lay five pieces of tinfoil out on your countertop. Spoon a pile of rice, dividing it and any liquid left in the bowl evenly, onto the center of each piece of tinfoil,
Top with chicken and vegetables.
Fold the sides of the tinfoil up and over the food, sealing it closed to make a packet.
Now you’re ready to cook your foil pack dinner on your grill, in the oven or in your campfire!
To make ahead:
Make your foil packet meal even easier, by preparing the ingredients ahead of time. Chop all of the veggies and cut the chicken into slices. Store them separately, in ziplock bags or a covered container, for 1-2 days.
Chicken Fajitas Foil Packets
- 1 1/2 cups minute rice , brown or white
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts , cut into thin strips
- 2 bell peppers , any color, sliced into thin strips
- 1 yellow or purple onion , sliced into thin strips
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 packet fajita seasoning or taco seasoning , divided
- tin foil , for wrapping
For serving (Optional):
- small flour tortillas
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro
- hot sauce
- Combine rice, water, and 2 tablespoons taco seasoning and stir. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, bell peppers and onion to a large bowl. Drizzle with oil, and season with the remaining taco seasoning packet, stirring gently to evenly coat everything.
- Coat four large pieces (about 12'' long) of tinfoil with cooking spray.
- Divide the rice and remaining liquid evenly between the pieces of tinfoil. Add chicken and vegetables on top.
- Bring the sides of the tinfoil up, sealing the tinfoil closed to form foil packs, ready to cook.
To cook on the grill:
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Add foil packets and close lid. Cook on medium to medium-high heat, depending on your grill, for about 10-13 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Add desired toppings and enjoy!
To cook in the oven:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place the foil packets on a baking tray and cook for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Add desired toppings and enjoy!
To cook in a campfire:
- Cook in the hot coals of a campfire for about 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Add desired toppings and enjoy!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE this recipe and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
This post contains affiliate links.