When people find out I’m a food blogger they often ask what type of food I make, or who my audience is. I’ve thought about that question a lot lately, and a reader actually summed it up for me. I make ” ‘real people’ food”. It’s not usually super fancy or with ingredients that are hard to find. But I use real ingredients, and make dinners that real, normal families would enjoy. That’s my goal anyways. And this One Pan Roast Chicken and Vegetables falls completely in line with it.
This meal takes about 5 minutes to prepare. It’s cooked all in one pan (yay for easy clean-up), and it’s absolutely DELICIOUS. I like to buy a whole chicken (about $5), cut it into pieces, and then use the leftover chicken carcass to make homemade chicken broth. Then I use the broth and any leftovers from this dinner to make chicken noodle soup another night during the week. Pretty much two awesome dinners for the price of one. But you can definitely just use a big pack of chicken thighs or other pieces.
One of my favorite things about this roast chicken dish is that the options for vegetables to add to this dish are endless! I always add the classic carrots, potatoes and onions along with whatever vegetables are in season at the time. This meal really is a must-make. It’s honestly right up there with Thanksgiving dinner, in my opinion. It has that same awesome “comfort food” feel to it, and will make you look like the best cook ever (and no one needs to know how EASY it was to make). 😉
- 2 1/2 pounds of your favorite chicken pieces (thighs, breasts, wings, etc.), skin ON
- 4 Tbsp butter, softened
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 large carrots, chopped into big pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped into big pieces
- 3-4 red potatoes quartered
- Other vegetable options: brussels sprouts, broccoli, zucchini, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, green beans, asparagus
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry.
- In a bowl, combine softened butter, lemon zest, and rosemary. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper and then smear the butter mixture all over the skin. (Keeping the skins on the chicken pieces will help protect them and keep them moist.)
- Place chicken, skin side up, in a roasting pan. Surround it with chopped vegetables. Don't be afraid to pack in tons of veggies because they will cook down a lot.
- Roast (uncovered) for about 50 minutes - 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender. should be golden brown and the juices should be sizzling and run clear. Allow chicken to rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
More EASY One Pan Dinners: