Roasted Red pepper tortellini pasta in a red cream sauce is a weeknight dinner for the whole family.
I love having tortellini in the freezer for those nights when I want something delicious, without too much work. I always buy the yummy refrigerated tortellini’s, and then freeze them for a later day. Some of my other favorite easy tortellini dishes include:
And here’s, yet another, tortellini recipe using spinach. 🙂 I can’t help it, I like to add spinach to just about everything!
The real star of this recipe is the easy roasted red pepper sauce. If you saw this Creamy Kale, Sausage and Roasted Red Pepper Pasta I posted last week you may have read my pledge to homemade roasted red peppers. They’re the easiest to make, and so YUM. You will never buy them from the store again! In this recipe you roast the red peppers and puree them into a delicious sauce. Cheesy tortellini (you could use chicken) with a creamy, roasted red pepper sauce and some added fresh spinach. This dish is easy and delicious!
Consider trying these tortellini recipes:
- One Pan Creamy Lemon Chicken Tortellini
- Vegetable Tortellini Soup
- Creamy Pesto Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Southwest Tortellini Pasta Salad
Roasted Red Pepper Tortellini Pasta
- 10 ounces tortellini (the refrigerated kind)
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 large red bell peppers , seeds and membranes removed, each in half
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2-3 Tablespoons freshly chopped parsley (or 1 tablespoon dry)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- Turn oven to HIGH broil. Place the red bell pepper halves, skin side up, on a foil lined baking sheet. Press the flat with your hand. Broil on the top rack of your oven for 10 minutes, or until the skins are mostly black. Remove from oven and transfer charred peppers to a paper or plastic bag. Close the opening and allow the peppers to steam in the bag for at least 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Transfer the mixture to your blender or food processor. Remove the bell peppers from the bag and peel the outer blackened skins off the tops of the peppers--they should slide off easily. Chop the peppers and add them with the onions in your blender. Process everything until smooth.
- Pour the mixture back into your skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken broth and season with salt, and pepper. Stir in the cream. Stir in spinach. Add the cooked tortellini noodles and toss to coat. Add most of the parmesan cheese (reserving a little for topping in each individual bowl). Sprinkle parsley on top.