These Honey-lime chipotle chicken fajita bowls belong on a restaurant menu! An all-in-one-meal with chicken, veggies and rice, that’s bursting with bold flavor and all the good stuff.
The chicken and veggies are marinated in a smokey sauce and then grilled. Serve them over a bed of cilantro lime rice with black beans, and add a scoop of chipotle cream sauce on top.
As much as my husband appreciates how much I love to cook, he often comments that the food blogging business is cramping his style.
When I make something he absolutely loves for dinner he wants it in the “dinner rotation” all the time, but since I’m constantly creating and trying new recipes to share with you all, we don’t repeat old favorites often enough.
There are only a very few exceptions to that trend, and these Honey-Lime Chipotle Chicken Fajita Bowls are one of them. They are one of my favorite meals I’ve shared and we can’t help but make them often 🙂
They are simply amazing, packed with so much flavor, and the perfect all-in-one meal with chicken, veggies and rice. Don’t be turned off by the seemingly long list of ingredients, because most of them are pantry spices.
I love to throw together the marinade in the morning, and leave the chicken and vegetables marinating in my fridge all day. Then when it’s time for dinner I simply make the rice and cook the chicken and veggies.
I think the liquid smoke is my favorite ingredient in the marinade for this dish. If you’re not familiar with liquid smoke it looks like this and is found right near the BBQ sauces at your local grocery store. It adds the tastiest smokey flavor!
The cilantro-lime rice with black beans is fantastic as well, and I often use the rice recipe with other meals, like on taco night or to serve inside a these wraps.
Give the rice time to rest, after it cooks, and be sure to FLUFF it with a fork, and not stir it. Those are two big tricks for fluffy rice, vs. “goopy” rice.
These Honey-Lime Chipotle Chicken Fajita Bowls are pretty simple, and extremely delicious! I like to make a double batch so that we can meal prep for lunches during the week. Delicious!
CONSIDER TRYING SOME OF MY OTHER FAVORITE “BOWL” RECIPES:
- Caribbean Jerk Chicken Bowls
- Spring Roll Bowls
- BBQ Ranch Grilled Chicken and Veggie Bowls
- Coconut Curry Chicken and Veggie Bowls
- Chipotle Chicken Fajita Bowls
- Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Teriyaki Bowls
- Sweetfire Chipotle Chicken Bowls
Honey-Lime Chipotle Chicken Fajita Bowls
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, garlic powder, liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
For the Veggies:
- ½ red onion , roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper , roughly chopped
- 1 green bell pepper , roughly chopped
- 1 cup corn , fresh, canned or frozen-thawed
Cilantro Lime Rice and Black Beans
- 2 Tablespoons oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- ½ cup red onion , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1½ cups long grain white rice (*see note below)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 15 ounce can black beans , drained and rinsed
- dash of salt
- juice from 1-2 limes
- ½ cup fresh cilantro , chopped
Chipotle Lime Sour Crema
- 3/4 cup sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sauce from a can of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce , or more to taste
- salt , to taste
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro , finely chopped
- Mix marinade ingredients together.
- If you're using thick chicken breasts, pound them thin with a meat mallet or rolling pin, or slice them horizontally in half.
- Place chicken and veggies in separate ziplock bags. Pour half of the marinade mixture into each bag.
- Refrigerate vegetables and chicken for one hour, or up to 8 hours.
For the Rice:
- When ready to cook, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin and salt and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, stir in the black beans, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Remove lid and squeeze juice from 1 lime over the rice, but do NOT stir. Return lid and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Then, remove lid, sprinkle with cilantro and fluff gently with a fork. (Don't "stir" it, just fluff it with a fork so it doesn't get mushy.)
Chipotle Lime Crema:
- While the rice is cooking, prepare chipotle cream sauce by mixing all ingredients together. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the Chicken:
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once skillet is hot, remove chicken from ziplock bag, discard marinade and add to skillet.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on one side, or until nicely browned. Turn chicken over, cover and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook until chicken is cooked through (about 5 more minutes, depending on the thickness).
- Remove to a cutting board and allow to rest 3-5 minutes before slicing.
For the Fajita Vegetables:
- While chicken is resting, add another splash of oil to the same skillet over medium heat.
- Drain vegetables in a colander to remove excess marinade.
- Add vegetables to the hot skillet and saute, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes, until warmed through. I like them to still have a little crunch.
- In bowls, layer rice, vegetables, and chicken. Top with Chipotle Lime Crema.
Adapted from Carlsbad Cravings
I first shared this recipe in August 2014. Updated March 2018.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
This post contains affiliate links. I love sharing my favorite products with you.