These delicious Hawaiian Haystacks start with a bed of rice, then a spoonful of chicken in gravy sauce, and add all of your favorite toppings. They’re make for a quick weeknight meal using ingredients you have on hand.
Hawaiian Haystacks were always one of our favorites growing up because everyone was able to customize their bowl, adding the ingredients they liked best.
How to Make Hawaiian Haystacks:
1. Make the sauce:
Whisk together milk, cornstarch, butter, chicken bouillon paste, spices, and water in a large saucepan on medium heat. Cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens.
2. Prepare the toppings.
Add a layer of rice to your bowl. Top it with chicken and gravy, and your favorite toppings.
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: Make the rice, cook the chicken, and make the sauce up to 1 day ahead of time. Store rice and gravy separately in the refrigerator.
To freeze: The Hawaiian haystacks sauce will freeze well. Allow it to cool completely once it thickens and store it in a freezer safe container for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat slowly on the stovetop.
- 2 1/2 cups cold milk
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoon chicken bouillon paste or cubes or powdered
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups chicken uncooked, or cooked
- Hot cooked rice , for serving
- Chow mein noodles
- Green onion
- Shredded Cheese
- Sliced Olives
- Toasted Coconut
- Bell peppers
- Slivered almonds
- Prepare rice according to package instructions.
- In a small saucepan whisk together milk, water and cornstarch. Add butter, bouillon, salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Bring to a low boil, stirring frequently. If using uncooked chicken, season it with salt and pepper and add to the pot, Reduce heat and cook until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened to gravy consistency. If using leftover cooked chicken, stir it in at the end.
- To serve, add a spoonful of rice to a bowl. Pour chicken gravy on top. Add desired toppings.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?!
RATE this recipe and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.