I am a huge fan of Classic French Toast, but I must say that adding crispy crunchiness to the outside just takes it to a new level. My kids love all my breakfast recipes, but whenever I make this it’s always accompanied by praises of, “Mom this is the best French Toast ever!” Definitely consider serving it with Homemade Syrup to really take it over the top!
Crunchy French Toast
How to Make Crunchy French Toast:
- In a shallow pie dish, whisk together eggs, milk, flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, vanilla.
- Pour the Rice Krispies into a separate shallow bowl and spread them out into and even layer.
- Dip each piece of bread into the egg mixture and then press it gently into the Rice Krispie’s cereal, flipping to coat on both sides.
- Melt a small piece of butter in a skillet over medium heat; add the bread and cook for 2-3 minutes on one side, until golden, and then flip and cook on the other side.
- Serve Crunchy French Toast with homemade syrup and fruit!
How can I prevent my French Toast from being soggy?
- Avoid using really thin slices of bread to make french toast, and instead use thicker slices of bread like Texas toast or Sara Lee Artisan bread.
- Make sure to quickly dip the french toast in the batter on both sides. If you leave the bread in the batter for too long it will absorb too much liquid and that could make it hard to cook all the way through.
- Cook the french toast properly. If using a skillet, maintain a steady medium to medium-low heat so that the french toast doesn’t brown too much before it’s time to flip it. This will also insure the bread cooks all the way through. I cook my french toast on my electric griddle at 350 degrees.
Check out all my Breakfast Recipes! Some of my favorites include:
Crunchy French Toast
- Preheat griddle to 350 degrees F or or heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Add cereal to a shallow pie dish or plate. Add all ingredients, except the bread and cornflakes to a blender or to a shallow dish and whisk well to combine. If whisking by hand, it's okay if the flour doesn't mix in completely smooth.
- Add the batter and the cereal to two separate shallow dishes. Dip each piece of bread into the egg mixture on both sides and then press gently into the cereal, flipping to coat both sides.
- Melt a small piece of butter in a skillet or griddle over medium heat (or grease with cooking spray). Place the bread slices on the hot skillet and cook for a few minutes until golden on the bottom and then flip and cook on the other side.
- Serve warm with your your favorite syrup.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe March 2014. Updated March 2019.
*This post contains affiliate links. I love sharing my favorite products with you!
This post contains affiliate links.