There’s really nothing I love more at a party than a yummy chocolate cake! This is my go-to recipe that makes a great, moist and delicious chocolate cake. I also love this hugely popular German Chocolate Cake!
Yields two-layer, 9” chocolate cake
Tips for making this Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Filling:
For a beautiful cake, use 9” rounds to bake the cake
Don’t over-mix the cake batter.
For those living in high altitude, increase flour by 2 Tbs.
Consider trying these popular desserts:
- German Chocolate Cake
- Better Than Anything Cake
- Mississippi Mud Brownies
- Snickerdoodles Bars
- Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Tres Leches Cake
Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Filling
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter , softened to room temperature
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9in' round baking pans.
- Stir dry ingredients together--sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add eggs, vanilla, oil, buttermilk and beat for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water, which will make the batter very thin. Pour batter into cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edges to loosen cake from sides of pan. Invert cakes onto cooling racks.
- At this point you can wrap them with plastic wrap and store them room temperature for one day, or you can wrap them with plastic wrap and tinfoil and freeze them to decorate another day.
- Raspberries are expensive this time of year, so I will admit that I bought a canned filling for this cake. The "Solo" brand for raspberry cake filling is great!*To make the filling from scratch, find a great recipe here.
- Mix Cocoa and powdered sugar together. Add milk and vanilla extract. Add butter and beat until smooth and creamy!
Assemble your cake:
- Spread a layer of raspberry filling in between the two chocolate cake layers. Frost the outside of the cake with chocolate frosting. If desired, spread remaining raspberry filling on top of the cake.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.