Whether you’re a green smoothie expert or a newbie, you will love this recipe! Green smoothies are the perfect way to start your morning off right…with pure vitamins, minerals, fiber, and with no added sugar. These smoothies are also a great way to get your kids to eat their vegetables–they wont even taste the spinach!
What I LOVE about this spinach smoothie:
- Fast– you can literally have this ready to go in under 5 minutes! I always keep spinach in the refrigerator and frozen fruit in the freezer, making this healthy smoothie that fastest breakfast to throw together.
- Healthy. I love spinach because it’s low calorie and packed fiber and minerals. I also love adding flaxseed and chia seed for even more protein and fiber.
- Customizable– change it up by adding different greens, different fruit or even throwing in some peanut butter or rolled oats! See more variation ideas below.
How to Make a Green Smoothie:
1. Add liquid. Add milk, fresh orange juice, and ice to the bottom of your blender.
2. Add spinach. Toss in two big handfuls of spinach (you could also use kale, shredded carrot, or collard greens)
3. Add Greek yogurt. I like to use plain Greek yogurt that has zero grams of sugar and lots of protein. You’re adding fruit next which will provide plenty of sugar :).
4. Add fruit and add ins. Next add your banana, frozen fruit and additional add ins (flaxseed, chia seeds, etc). Any kind of frozen fruit will work (I love raspberries, pineapple, strawberries, peaches, and mangos).
5. Blend until smooth. Check the consistency of your smoothie and add more liquid depending on your preference.
Healthy Green Smoothie Variations:
- Add rolled oats. Whole rolled oats are a great whole grain that will add additional protein and fiber as well as a grainy texture that I love.
- Add peanut butter. A spoonful of peanut butter will also add some healthy unsaturated fat as well as protein.
- Switch up the greens. Try adding collard greens or kale in place of spinach. Or try a little of each.
- Add powder. Try adding a heaping tablespoon of vanilla or chocolate protein powder or acai berry powder.
- Make it vegan or dairy-free. Leave out the yogurt and use soy or almond milk.
- 1/4 cup milk (water, soy milk, or almond milk also work)
- juice of 1 orange , freshly squeezed
- 5 Ice cubes
- 2 large handfuls fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup frozen fruit , pineapple, strawberries, mango, peaches, or raspberries
- 2 teaspoons ground flaxseed , optional
- chia seeds , optional
- Add liquid (milk and fresh orange juice) to the bottom of your blender. Also add ice cubes.
- Next add spinach (or other greens).
- Add Greek yogurt.
- Next add your frozen fruit and additional add ins (flaxseed, chia seeds, etc).
- Blend until smooth. Check consistency and add more liquid depending on your preference.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe April 2013 and updated it December 2019 with new photos and ideas for adding to the smoothie.