Arroz Chaufa is Peruvian Fried Rice made with rice, chicken, hot dogs, bell peppers, and onion in less than 20 minutes! It’s delicious served as a main dish or a side dish, and is a great way to use leftover rice, meat and veggies.
My husband was the one who first introduced me to Arroz Chaufa, over ten years ago! He fell in love with Peruvian food while living in South America and Arroz Chaufa was one of his favorites. I will not claim this recipe as authentic, as I created it purely based off of his memory of what he enjoyed in it. I’ve found it’s one I like to adapt each time we make it to use up leftover produce or protein we have needing to be used in the fridge.
What is Arroz Chaufa?
Arroz chaufa or arroz de chaufa means Chinese rice. It’s a Peruvian dish that was introduced by Chinese Peruvians who had immigrated to Peru between the 1960’s to late 1990’s. Dishes like arroz chaufa that are a combination of Chinese and Peruvian cuisines are referred to as Chifa.
Ingredients in Arroz Chaufa:
- pre-cooked rice
- hot dogs
- green onion
- bell pepper
- ginger root
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
How to make Arroz Chaufa:
- Cook hot dogs and veggies. Preheat a large skillet or wok to medium heat. Pour sesame oil in the bottom. Add hot dogs, onion, and bell pepper. Add garlic and ginger.
- Scramble the eggs. Slide meat and veggies to the side and pour the beaten eggs onto the other side. Scramble the eggs and then it all together.
- Add rice and sauce. Add the rice and chicken and pour the soy sauce on top. Stir and fry the rice and veggie mixture until heated through and combined. Season with additional salt, if needed, to taste.
Be sure to use leftover cold rice! If you try to use hot cooked rice it will end up being mushy and gloopy. If you don’t already have leftover rice to use then try this:
Cook rice and pour it out onto a baking sheet when it’s done. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 15-20 minutes to allow the rice to cool completely.
Check out these easy ethnic dishes:
- 2 Tbs sesame oil
- 1 bunch green onion , chopped, (divided into greener and whiter parts)
- 1 bell pepper , diced
- 2 hot dogs
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon ginger root , grated
- 1 cup cooked and shredded chicken
- 4 cups pre-cooked, cold rice
- 2-3 Tablespoons soy sauce (more or less to taste)
- Preheat a large skillet or wok to medium heat. Pour sesame oil in the bottom.
- Add hot dogs, onion, and bell pepper. Add garlic and ginger.
- Slide to the side, and pour the beaten eggs onto the other side. Using a spatula, scramble the eggs.
- Once cooked, mix the eggs with the vegetable mix.
- Add the rice and chicken to the veggie and egg mixture. Pour the soy sauce on top. Stir and fry the rice and veggie mixture until heated through and combined.
- Season with additional salt, if needed, to taste.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?!
RATE THIS RECIPE AND COMMENT BELOW! I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR EXPERIENCE.
This post contains affiliate links.