This Classic Potato Salad recipe is made with Yukon Gold potatoes, hard boiled eggs, and a creamy dressing. It is a family favorite, and a must-have at any BBQ!
Why I love this recipe:
- Classic – No funny stuff here, this easy potato salad recipe is the traditional one everyone loves, with the best sauce to coat the potatoes.
- Fresh – Making this salad with fresh ingredients is absolutely worth it. You won’t buy one at the grocery store again!
- Make-Ahead – Throw it together when you have time, and pull it out of the fridge and serve when you are ready!
Potato Salad Ingredients:
- Yukon Gold Potatoes: these are my favorite kind for potato salad, but russet would also work.
- Hard Boiled Eggs: we use the egg yolk to make the best creamy sauce to coat the potatoes.
- Mayonnaise: good quality, like Hellman’s or Kewpie.
- Buttermilk: a must for the amazing potato salad dressing. You can make your own buttermilk, if in a pinch.
- Yellow Mustard (or Dijon)
- Dill Pickles
- Red Onion
- Salt and Pepper
How to make Potato Salad:
Boil Potatoes: Place whole, unpeeled potatoes in a large pot of water. Bring the water to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain water from the pot, then cover with a lid to allow the potatoes to steam for 5-10 minutes. Peel potatoes, if desired, and cut them into 1 inch chunks.
Make Potato Salad Dressing: Mix together egg yolks, mayonnaise, buttermilk, mustard, a splash of pickle juice, and salt and pepper, to taste.
Combine: Pour dressing over the potatoes. Add chopped egg whites, celery, onion, and pickles. Stir well.
Serve: Cover, and refrigerate for a few hours.
Make Ahead and Storage Instructions:
To Make Ahead: This is the best potato salad recipe because you can make it up to 2-3 days ahead of time and it will taste great! Make it at least a few hours before and refrigerate.
To Store: Keep potato salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Follow me for more great recipes
Classic Potato Salad
- Boil and chop potatoes: Place the whole, unpeeled potatoes in a large pot of water. Bring the water to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain the water completely from the pot and then cover the pot with a lid to allow the potatoes to steam for 5-10 minutes. Peel potatoes, if desired, and cut them into ½ inch chunks.
- Make Dressing: Separate egg yolks from the whites of the hard boiled eggs and place the yolks in a bowl. Mash the yolks with a fork and then stir in the mayonnaise, buttermilk, mustard, a splash of pickle juice, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Assemble: Pour the dressing over the warm potatoes. Chop the egg whites and add them to the potatoes along with the celery, onion, and pickles. Stir well, cover, and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
*I first shared this recipe in May 2013. Updated May 2019 and May 2023.
This post contains affiliate links. I love sharing my favorite recipes with you!
This post contains affiliate links.