There is so much to love about this delicious Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken Soup! It’s one of the easiest soups to make but the bold and flavorful Tex-Mex inspired flavors really can’t be beat! Total bonus that the slow cooker does most of the work.
I’ve mentioned before that I have an identical twin sister. She helps out with the blog quite a bit and is a “consultant” of sorts. But even before I had this blog we were in the habit of calling each other often to say “Wow, I made the best ______ (insert delicious food name, here) today! You have to try it!”
We both love making and eating great food. And the way we get excited to share recipes and meal ideas with each other is the same way I feel excited to share recipes with all of you!
Every recipe I share has been tested and is family approved–particularly husband and twin sister approved 😉 . This Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken Soup got 5 stars from everybody!
This recipe is straight from my new FAVORITE cookbook, Real Food Slow Cooker Suppers that just went on sale TODAY by my friend Samantha over at FiveHeartHome.com. If you’re not familiar with her food blog, she has great recipes as well and also cooks “from scratch” !
Here are a few of the reasons I’m loving her cookbook, Real Food Slow Cooker Suppers:
- It has over 80 easy dinner recipes you can make in your slow cooker!
- All of the recipes use REAL ingredients! We are talking real, fresh, unprocessed ingredients– which always means better FLAVOR (and a finished product you can actually trust)!
- There’s a full page, full color photo for every recipe! So, it’s no secret what the end result will look like!
This kind of quality cookbook– that actually uses REAL ingredients!– doesn’t come around that often. So, THANK YOU Samantha for making my meal planning for the next for weeks even easier 😉 .
I honestly can’t get over the AMAZING flavors of this soup. It’s absolutely one of our new favorites. It has a bold, and somewhat spicy, Tex-Mex flavor that had my husband and I saying “THIS IS SO GOOD” after every bite. I love how easy it is to make, and it makes great leftovers too, which always makes my husband happy!
Consider trying one of these classic soup recipes:
- Spicy Chicken Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Taco Soup
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Chile Verde Soup
Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken Soup with bold and flavorful Tex-Mex inspired flavors! As a total bonus, the slow cooker does most of the work.
- 8 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper , to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
- 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 medium jalapeño , minced (seeds and membranes left intact for spicy, removed for mild)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or Mexican blend or Colby Jack cheese, plus more for serving)
- Tortilla chips , for serving
- chopped fresh cilantro , for serving, optional
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and sauté until it is fragrant and light golden brown, about 1 minute.
Stir in the flour and whisk continuously for 1 minute.
Slowly whisk in the chicken broth. Increase the heat to a simmer and whisk continuously for several minutes, until the sauce is smooth and thickened.
Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Add black pepper to taste and set the sauce aside.
Place the chicken breasts in a large slow cooker. Top them with the diced tomatoes with green chilies and jalapeño and pour the sauce over the top.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours, until the chicken is tender and cooked through but not overcooked.
Transfer the chicken to a cutting board, stir the cheese into the slow cooker and cover the slow cooker for the time being.
Shred the chicken and stir it back into the slow cooker.
Cover the slow cooker and cook for 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and all of the ingredients are heated through. Stir well.
- To serve, crush the tortilla chips into a bowl and ladle the soup over the top, garnishing with extra cheese and cilantro, if desired.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
You can find more recipe reviews from the cookbook, Real Food Slow Cooker Suppers, here: