The easiest, creamy and slightly sweet homemade Authentic Mexican Horchata.
This post includes step-by-step recipe instructions and pictures for how to make homemade horchata. While living in Mexico for a period of time (and with the help of some locals), I perfected several authentic Mexican recipes including Authentic Mexican Rice and Tres Leches Cake.
It’s almost Cinco de Mayo guys! A good excuse to throw a party with your friends and make some awesome homemade Mexican food! I’ll be making several of my favorite Mexican dishes, particularly Authentic Mexican Rice and Cantina-Style Salsa.
What is Horchata?
Horchata (pronounced or-CHAH-tah) is a popular Mexican drink that is often described as a sweet rice milk beverage. Horchata is made out of rice, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon and is served in many Mexican restaurants. There’s an important balance to the creamy rice and cinnamon flavors found in horchata and I think you will find that this homemade Horchata recipe is the perfect balance.
How to Make Horchata:
- Blend. Blend the rice, water, and cinnamon sticks until the rice and cinnamon sticks are roughly ground. Add the remaining water and blend again.
- Let Sit. Pour the contents into a pitcher or container with a fitted lid and place on your countertop overnight (or for at least 8 hours).
- Strain. Pour the rice mixture into a fine mesh strainer, into a pitcher and discard the rice.
- Add. Stir in the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar (to your preference). Chill until ready to serve. Stir well before serving and serve over ice.
What is Hochata de Chufa?
Horchata de chufa is popular in Spain and it differs from Mexican horchata (or horchata de arroz) in that Mexican horchata is made with rice and horchata de chufa is made with chufa (also known as tiger nuts).
For Vegan Horchata:
To make vegan horchata, simply substitute equal parts almond milk for the milk in the recipe.
You may also like these Mexican recipes:
- Smothered Green Chili Chicken Burritos
- Authentic Mexican Rice
- Cheese Enchiladas
- Grilled Chicken Street Tacos
- To a blender, add rice, 2 cups of water, and 2 cinnamon sticks.
- Blend about for 2 minutes or until the rice and cinnamon sticks are roughly ground. Add the remaining water and blend again.
- Pour contents into a pitcher or container with a fitted lid and place on your countertop overnight (or for at least 8 hours).
- Pour the rice mixture into a fine mesh strainer, into a pitcher. Discard the rice.
- Stir in the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar (to your preference). Chill until ready to serve. Stir well before serving and serve over ice.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe April 2016. Updated July 2019.