Incredibly delicious Apple Cake made with fresh grated apples and spices, topped with homemade caramel sauce and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. This is a treasured family recipe!
Fresh Apple Cake
We’re entering Fall and creeping closer to the holiday season, which makes me so happy!
One reason I love this time of year so much is that I get to break out some of my favorite family recipes. This apple cake is my Grandmother’s recipe that I treasure! You wont believe how moist and flavorful it is, and I love that you grate the apple, peel-on, right into the batter. The homemade caramel sauce is also to die for, and if you include a big scoop of vanilla ice cream you really send this cake over the top! This is the BEST fall apple cake!
How to make apple cake:
Start by mixing together the butter, sugar, and eggs. Next, stir in the grated apple.
In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Then combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. For a moist cake, you don’t want to over mix!
Bake the cake for 40-50 minutes and enjoy with a scoop of ice cream and caramel sauce!
What are the best apples for baking?
Granny Smith apples are my favorite for any kind of baking, especially in dessert recipes like apple crisp, or baked apples, where the apple is really the star of the show. For this recipe, however, you can really use any type of apple. It is a very forgiving apple recipe because the apples are grated, so just use whatever you have on hand.
CONSIDER TRYING THESE POPULAR APPLE RECIPES:
- The Best Apple Crisp
- Caramel Apple Bundt Cake
- Apple Pie Cheesecake Bars
- Baked Apples
- Apple Coffee Cake with Cream Cheese Filling
- Apple Spice Cake with Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter , room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 6 apples ,small/medium size, grated (cored, but keep the peel on)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped walnuts , optional
For the homemade Caramel Sauce:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until well blended. Add the eggs and mix well.
- Stir in the freshly grated apple. It may seems like the grated apple is completely taking over the dish - this is a good thing :).
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Add to the wet ingredients and mix, just until incorporated.
- Bake at 350 degrees F in a greased 9×13” pan for 40 min- 50 min, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. (Depending on how large your apples were, you may need to cook it a little longer than 50 minutes).
- Allow the cake to cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm with caramel sauce and whipped cream or ice cream.
For the Caramel Sauce
- Place all of the caramel sauce ingredients in a large glass bowl and stir to combine.
- Fill a saucepan with about 2 inches of water and bring it to a boil. Turn it to a low simmer.
- Set the glass bowl over the saucepan (or use a double boiler) and simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Pour into a jar and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
*I originally shared this recipe November 2014. Updated September 2018.