If you’re familiar with Chick-fil-A you will know that fans of this fast food chain are passionate! So many people, my husband Jeff included, are completely fanatical about their chicken sandwiches!
Take my sister-in-law, for example, (who blogs over at Pretty Providence). She camped outside the new Chick-fil-A in St. George, Utah and won free sandwiches for a YEAR for her and her husband! Pretty awesome, haha!
There’s not a Chick-fil-A very close to our home here in Missouri so I wanted to make these for Jeff to celebrate him finishing his first year of Law school this week! Woot woot! I found the key to getting an extra crispy and delcious coating on the chicken is double-dipping!! That’s right, double dipping is totally allowed and even encouraged here! You’ll see what I mean when you read the recipe.
My husband likes this sandwich SPICY, so you can also find directions below for how to make this into a Chick-fil-A Spicy Chicken Sandwich. I hope you all enjoy this tasty fried sandwich as much as we did! And, the homemade Chick-fil-A sauce we smothered all over it is a must! That stuff is out of this world!
Consider trying these “copycat” recipes:
- Cheesecake factory tex mex egg rolls
- California Pizza Kitchen BLT pizza
- Jamba Juice Caribbean Passion smoothie
- Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad
Chick-Fil-A Crispy Chicken Sandwich Copycat
- 4 chicken tenders
- 1/2 cup pickle juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- oil for frying
- 4 hamburger buns
- Dill pickle slices, lettuce, and cheese slices for the sandwich
For the breading:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- For a spicy chicken sandwich, add 2 tsp cayenne pepper and 1/2 tsp more of chili powder to the breading
For the Chick-fil-A-sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon honey mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon barbecue sauce (hickory tastes the best)
- Combine the pickle juice and water in a ziplock bag. Add the chicken tenders and let marinate for 30 minutes.
- Make the Chick-fil-A sauce by combining all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Next, in a large bowl mix the breading ingredients together: flour, powdered sugar, paprika, black pepper, chili powder, salt, and baking powder.
- In another bowl mix the milk, and egg.
- Heat 2-3 cups of oil in a large saucepan. Heat oil to about 350 degrees F.
- Dip the marinated chicken tenders into the egg mixture, and then coat them in the flour breading mixture. Here comes the double-dipping I mentioned above! Now repeat this step and dip that same chicken tender back into the egg mixture and then back into the flour again! Yep, this double dipping is how we're making a super yummy, crispy sandwich.
- Place chicken in hot oil and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove to paper towel to dry.
- Toast the sandwich buns. Grab the Chick-fil-A sauce and smoother it on both sides of the buns. Top with lettuce, cheese, and crispy chicken! Enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
Recipe adapted from here.