Cheese tortilla filled with a delicious black bean and corn mixture.
My sister and I do this thing where we call each other every day around 4pm. She is usually driving home from work, and both of us like to bounce dinner ideas off each other. I usually recommend my latest creation from the blog, and she gives me some new ideas.
We both have an understanding that the dinner ideas we share must be 1. FAST (30 minutes of less). 2. Something we already have the ingredients for, and 3. Something our families will all like (toddlers included). These Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas not only fit the trifecta, but they are YU-MMY! Super easy to throw together and totally satisfying. They take the goodness of a traditional quesadilla to a whole new level! I like to serve them with some sliced avocado, sour cream and salsa.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic , minced
- 1/4 of a small onion , chopped
- 1/4 of a red or orange bell pepper , chopped
- 1 can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 heaping cup of frozen , thawed corn (or canned corn)
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 cups shredded cheese (monterrey jack, colby jack, or cheddar)
- 4 large tortillas
- 2 tsp butter
- Sour cream , for serving
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add black beans, corn, salsa, brown sugar, cumin and chili powder and stir to combine. Reduce heat. Melt a teaspoon of butter In another large skillet. Place one tortilla in the skillet. Add a sprinkle of cheese, followed by a heaping scoop of the black beans and corn mixture and spread into an even layer. Top with another sprinkle of cheese. Add a tortilla on top and cook until the cheese is almost melted and the bottom tortilla is golden. Use a large spatula to carefully flip the tortilla to the other side. Cook until cheese is melted and bottom tortilla is golden brown. Serve with sour cream and salsa.
Looking for more super easy dinner ideas your family will LOVE?