These simple and healthy Black Bean Quesadillas are an easy dinner everyone loves. Flour tortillas filled with cheese, black beans, corn, onion, bell pepper and spices.
We love dinner that’s cooked in less than 30 minutes, that’s healthy and kid-friendly! Like these Vegetarian Enchiladas,
What I LOVE about these Black Bean Quesadillas:
- FAST: they can be whipped up in less than 30 minutes!
- Simple Ingredients: You will likely already have all the ingredients you need to make (or adapt) this recipe.
- Kid-friendly: Even my pickiest toddler loves them!
How to Make a Black Bean Quesadilla:
1. Make veggie filling: Sauté onion and bell pepper in a little bit of oil and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add black beans, corn, salsa, brown sugar, cumin and chili powder and stir to combine. Reduce heat.
3. Assemble: Heat another large skillet. Place one tortilla in the skillet and sprinkle cheese, followed by a heaping scoop of black bean and corn mixture and spread into an even layer. Top with another sprinkle of cheese.
3. Cook: Add a tortilla on top and cook until the bottom tortilla is golden. Use a large spatula to carefully flip the tortilla to the other side. Cook until cheese is melted and bottom tortilla is golden brown. Serve with sour cream and salsa.
Serve quesadillas with:
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/4 small onion , chopped
- 1/4 bell pepper any color, chopped
- 15 ounce can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 heaping cup corn (canned or frozen-thawed)
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups shredded cheese (monterrey jack, colby jack, or cheddar)
- 4 large flour tortillas
- sour cream , for serving
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add black beans, corn, salsa, brown sugar, cumin and chili powder and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat. Taste and adjust seasonings, if desired.
- Heat another large skillet. Place one tortilla in the skillet. Add a sprinkle of cheese, followed by a heaping scoop of black bean and corn filling and spread into an even layer.
- Top with another sprinkle of cheese. Add a tortilla on top and cook until the bottom tortilla is golden.
- Use a large spatula to carefully flip the tortilla to the other side. Cook until cheese is melted and bottom tortilla is golden brown.
- Serve with sour cream and salsa.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe May 2015. Updated May 2020 with new photos and clearer instructions.
I was a little hesitate but I am so glad we tried this. So yummy and easy to prepare!
I am trying the meal plan for the first time which, after the trip to the grocery store, we discovered is SUPER cost effective, and this was our first recipe from you guys. My family loved it! Even my four year old ate a quesadilla! We were so pleasantly surprised! Looking forward to trying more! Thanks! 🤗
Wow, we’re absolutely thrilled to hear that you tried our meal plan and loved the first recipe!Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience with us, it truly means a lot to us! 😍
This is my third recipe to make. Followed the recipe, doubted the flavors would be there without meat but they turned out great. I made them folded over as 1/2. Made two with corn tortilla for me and one with flour tortilla for my wife. We tried each others and i prefer the corn. Have a lot of left over filling and plan to make that into tortilla soup for dinner tomorrow.
Super easy and very tasty!
Very tasty – seasonings are just right!
Very versatile – used whatever cheese, peppers we had at home. Added chopped chicken, cilantro. And some tortillas in the pantry…Again – THIS IS ANOTHER WINNER, LAUREN!
See More Comments