This hearty and flavorful Asian Chicken Salad is made with cabbage, mandarin oranges, cucumbers, bell peppers, almonds, marinated chicken and an easy homemade dressing.
The freshness, crunch and delicious flavor combination of this healthy Asian Chicken Salad has me making it every chance I get! I marinate the chicken in a simple sauce that’s then converted to make salad dressing. The end result in restaurant quality, and I love that the salad can be prepared in advance.
How to Make Asian Chicken Salad:
- Marinate chicken: whisk together soy sauce, ginger, olive oil, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, sriracha, and salt. Marinate chicken in 3 tablespoons of the marinade and refrigerate.
- Mix dressing by adding red wine vinegar and sliced green onions to the unused marinade.
- Combine lettuce, cabbage, cucumber, carrots, almonds, bell peppers, mandarin oranges, and cilantro in a large bowl.
- Grill chicken on medium high heat, cooking for about 3 minutes on each side. Slice chicken and add to the salad.
- Toss salad with desired amount of dressing. Garnish with crunchy wonton strips or chow mein noodles, if desired.
Make Ahead Instructions:
The dressing, marinating the chicken, and chopping the salad ingredients can be done up to one day in advance. Then, when it is time to eat just grill the chicken and toss the salad with the dressing.
- Vegetarian: Leave off the chicken or replace with tofu.
- Toss in more Vegetables: Use any seasonal vegetables you have, including snap peas, edamame, sprouts, radishes, shredded brussels sprouts, celery, broccoli, etc. You can also use any type of lettuce or onion you have on hand.
More tasty Salads to try:
- Classic Wedge Salad
- Healthy Chicken Pasta Salad
- Creamy Pesto Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- Waldorf Salad
- Thai Quinoa Salad
Asian Chicken Salad
Marinade and Dressing:
For the Salad:
- 1 large head romaine or green leafy lettuce , chopped
- 2 cups chopped red, green or napa cabbage
- 1/2 english cucumber sliced
- 1 carrot , shredded
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds or cashews
- 1 bell pepper (any color), chopped
- 11 ounce can mandarin oranges drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Handful Crunchy chow mein noodles or wonton strips , optional
- Whisk together the soy sauce, chopped ginger, olive oil, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, sriracha, and salt.
- Add 3 tablespoon of the marinade to a bowl or large ziplock bag (the rest will be reserved for the dressing). Cut the chicken breasts in half, lengthwise (butterfly), to create 6 thin chicken breast halves. Add to the marinade and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 3-4 hours.
- To the remaining marinade, add red wine vinegar and sliced green onions, to make a dressing for the salad. Refrigerate.
For the salad:
- Add lettuce, cabbage, cucumber, carrots, almonds, bell peppers, mandarin oranges and cilantro to a large bowl.
- Grill the chicken on medium high heat, cooking for about 3 minutes on each side, flipping once, until cooked through.
- Remove to a cutting board and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Slice the chicken against the grain and add to the salad.
- Pour desired amount of dressing on top and toss to combine. Garnish with crunchy wonton strips or chow mein noodles, if desired.
Macros Recipe Adaptation1 cup carrots, 2 lbs raw boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1 cup cucumber.
Per Serving AmountDressing: 34 grams, Romaine Lettuce: 1 cup, Napa Cabbage: ⅓ cup, Cucumber: 20 grams, Oranges: 52.8 grams, Cooked chicken: 93 grams, Almonds: 10.8 grams, Carrots: 12 grams, Green Bell Pepper: 20.6 grams, Cilantro: 4.16 grams.
Macros379kcal, Fat: 21g, Carbs: 17g, Protein: 35g (serves 6) | MFP: Asian Chicken Salad (TBFS Macros)
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe January 2016. Updated May 2021 with new process photos.
This post contains affiliate links.