So, I get asked all the time, “Do you really cook EVERY night?!”. That question always kind of makes me laugh because what’s the alternative? I’m not a fan of packaged, processed food and there are millions of meals you can make for your family that take minutes! So I guess my response to that question is “YES, I cook every night–but I cook really, really simply on a lot of nights too!” I’m sure most mom’s can relate when I admit that on some nights, come 6 o’clock I’m ready to throw on my pajamas, crash on the couch and never get up. Those nights are what we call “Soup and Grilled Cheese” nights! We whip up a simple, yummy soup like this skinny tomato basil soup, or this easy tortellini soup and make these amazing Italian Grilled Cheese sandwiches! BAM–dinner done in 30 minutes!
The word “Italian” in these sandwiches makes them sound super fancy, I know 😉 — well….they’re not. haha. They’re the easiest in the world to make and they always, always satisfy!
- 8 slices thick, crusty bread
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese (or about 1/3 cup shredded)
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce, (*homemade recipe link below)
- 4 Tbsp freshly chopped basil, optional
- butter, for spreading on bread
- Spread butter on the "outside" pieces of bread that will touch the griddle when cooking. Spread marinara sauce on the inside pieces of the sandwich bread. Layer mozzarella and cheddar cheese on top of the marinara sauce. Top with fresh basil, if using. Place bread slices together to make a sandwich. Place sandwich on hot griddle or skillet and cook until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown and toasted. Serve immediately.
- Easy homemade marinara sauce: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015987-marinara-sauce
Looking for some yummy soup to serve this with?! Try one of my favorites: