These Smothered Green Chile Chicken Burritos are AMAZING, and super easy to prepare. They’re baked until crispy and smothered in the best, homemade green chile sauce.
I’m kind of a snob when it comes to Mexican food made from home. I usually make my own sauces (like this easy red enchilada sauce), use fresh salsas, and fresh tortillas. Using fresh, quality ingredients really makes all the difference! Some of my favorite Mexican food recipes include:
Some tips for this recipe:
Use UNCOOKED flour tortillas! You don’t need to pre-cook them for this recipe. Just roll the chicken filling in the uncooked tortilla and it will bake perfectly in the oven. The uncooked tortillas are 10 million times better than the cooked, packaged flour tortillas. They’re the only kind I ever buy. I like the Tortilla Land brand best. Costco sells a big package of them that we always buy–I freeze the extra pack so that I always have them on hand.
The sauce and the filling can be both made a day or two in advance, making dinner prep super easy! You could also use rotisserie chicken for the filling, or cook and shred your own.
I honestly can’t say enough good things about these Smothered Green Chile Chicken Burritos. They’re made with real, fresh ingredients (no canned enchilada sauce or canned “cream of” soups!), because we should all agree by now that everything tastes better from scratch! 😉 . These are Mexican Restaurant quality, delicious! AND, they’re FREEZEABLE! So make a double batch–have half for dinner and freeze the rest for any easy dinner another night! Serve with Authentic Mexican Rice, black beans or a fresh green salad.
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 1 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 1/5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 6 (8’’) uncooked flour tortillas, I prefer the tortilla land brand
- olive oil or nonstick cooking spray
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic (about 1 clove)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth warmed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves, crushed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 4oz. can mild chopped green chilies
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese, plus more for topping on burritos
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Mix chicken, salsa, cumin, oregano, cheese and onions. Place a heaping 1/2 cup or so of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla.
- Fold the sides of the tortilla in and roll up like a burrito. Place seam-side down on baking sheet.
- Brush lightly with olive oil or spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Bake at 400°F for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce by melting butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once melted and bubbling, whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes. Add minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Gradually whisk in chicken broth. Add cumin, oregano, and a dash of salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in green chilies, cheese and sour cream. Tastes and add more seasonings if needed.
- Remove burritos from oven and turn the oven to HIGH broil. Ladle a spoonful of sauce over each burrito and top with a handful of shredded cheddar cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Enjoy!
*The chicken filling and green chile sauce can both be made a day or two in advanced. Store separately, covered in the fridge.
*To Freeze: Make the burrito filling as instructed and roll up in tortillas (either uncooked or regular). Place in a freezer ziplock bag. Reserve the sauce and place in a separate freezer bag. To cook, remove from freezer and place burritos on a greased baking sheet. Cover with tinfoil and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until warmed through and crisp on the outside. Add frozen sauce to a saucepan and warm. Serve over cooked burritos.
Never miss a post! Follow me on: