Happy Friday! I’ve got a hot date tonight, guys. The hubs and I haven’t been on a date, with just the two of us, in FOREVER. We have a babysitter and we’re actually leaving the house (as opposed to our “get take-out and watch a movie at home” nights that we have most weekends). It’s pretty exciting. This whole having a job thing and no longer being students is really working for us 🙂 Now I just need to decide on where to eat, and, most importantly, what to get for dessert!
Can I tell you what I’m all about when it comes to treats? Over-the-top chocolate desserts. That’s it. I want chocolate (and caramel) ALL. THE. TIME. Is it weird that I thoroughly enjoy sitting on the couch pondering what kind of awesomeness I could do with a pan of brownies? (Like these triple chocolate brownie bites, or my favorite mint brownies.) Sure, a good old fashioned brownie with chocolate frosting never disappoints. But sometimes you just want something out of this world, ya know? I saw these amazing caramel poke turtle brownies by Jen from Carlsbad Cravings and I was immediately craving that idea with a little different twist. Caramel and chocolate together are just irresistible.
These Caramel Poke Rocky Road Brownies fit perfectly into the category of out-of-this-world chocolate treats. We start with a thick and chewy homemade chocolate brownies with caramel sauce seeped into it. Then we add marshmallows, warm chocolate frosting, AND more caramel sauce on top. OH MY Heavens. I can officially die a happy woman.
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup salted butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 Tbsp evaporated milk or half and half
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Hershey's brand is best!)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Dash salt
- 1 cup homemade caramel sauce (or you can use store-bought)
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 2 1/2 Tbsp milk
- 2 1/2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixing bowl add granulated and brown sugars and melted butter. Beat until well combined. Add eggs and egg yolk, beating after each addition. Add milk and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix just until combined. The batter will be thick. Pour batter into a greased 9x13'' baking pan and spread into an even layer.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes and then poke holes all over with the a chopstick or the handle part of a spoon. Pour 1/2 cup caramel sauce over the top and use a spatula to spread it all over and into the holes. Refrigerate brownies for about one hour to allow the caramel to set.
- Heat oven to HIGH broil. Sprinkle nuts (if using) across the top of the brownies. Then spread the marshmallows across the top of the brownies. Place in the oven for 1-2 minutes or until the marshmallows just begin to puff a little (you don't want to leave them in too long!). Remove from oven. Prepare chocolate frosting.
*Tip for serving- use a plastic knife to cut the brownies (it wont stick as much as a regular knife!). Have a damp paper towel or rag on hand to wipe the knife clean after each cut.
Never miss a post! Follow Tastes Better From Scratch on: