Sweet Firecracker Chipotle Chicken Bowls
Sweetfire Chipotle Chicken Bowls are egg wash coated chicken covered in a sweet and spicy chipotle sauce served over cilantro lime rice.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
For the Chicken:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts , cut into bit size pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
For the sauce:
- 1/2 - 1 whole chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (with seeds)
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 small onion
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/2 bell pepper (red or green)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Serve over Cilantro Lime Rice and Black Beans
For the chicken:
Spray a wire cooling rack with non stick cooking spray and place on top of a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
Place the egg in a shallow bowl and whisk well.
Combine the remaining dry ingredients in a large ziplock bag.
Dip the chicken pieces in the egg, and then add to the bag with the flour mixture and shake well to coat evenly.
Place chicken in a single layer on the prepared wire rack.
Bake at 375 degrees F for about 10 minutes or until chicken is just barely cooked through.
Turn the oven to HIGH broil, and place the tray of chicken on the top rack of the oven for 2-3 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Remove from oven and place chicken in a bowl.
For the Sauce:
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Pour pureed sauce into a saucepan over medium high heat and cook, stirring constantly, until thicken slightly (about 5 minutes total).
Pour sauce over chicken and gently toss to coat.
Serve with sauted yellow squash or zucchini and steamed broccoli, over rice.
Calories: 227kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 529mg | Potassium: 236mg | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 445IU | Vitamin C: 16.2mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 1.3mg