Thinly sliced Granny Smith apples baked with a cinnamon glaze and oatmeal crumb topping. The BEST Apple Crisp recipe Ever!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time50 mins
For the crumb topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- dash of salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter ,cut into small pieces
For the Apple filling:
- 3-4 large Granny Smith apples , peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 Tablespoons butter , melted
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- dash of salt
For the Apple Filling:
(I use a Johnny Apple Peeler to peel and slice the apples all at once. It makes the process a lot faster!)
In a small bowl, combine melted butter and flour until well blended. Add lemon juice, milk and vanilla and stir well. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
Pour butter mixture over apples and toss to coat. Pour apple mixture into an 8x8-inch baking dish and spread into an even layer.
Sprinkle crumb topping evenly over the apples.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and top is set.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
To make ahead of time:
- Make the apple filling, adding a tiny bit more lemon juice so the apples don't brown. Store the apple filling in an air-tight container, in the fridge, for up to one day.
- Then Make the crumble topping and put it in a separate ziplock bag, in the fridge. When ready to bake, remove from the fridge, and sprinkle the topping on top. Bake as directed.
To freeze apple crisp:
Prepare and bake the apple crisp as directed. Cool the crisp completely, then cover it with a double layer of aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then warm in a 350°F oven for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy.
Calories: 382kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 64mg | Potassium: 235mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 38g | Vitamin A: 560IU | Vitamin C: 6.1mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 1.2mg