Light, moist funfetti cupcakes that taste so much better than a cake mix!
Keyword: birthday cupcakes, funfetti cupcakes, funfetti frosting
Unit: cup, cup + 2 Tablsepoons, large, Tablespoon, teaspoon
Servings: 20 cupcakes
Calories: 264 kcal
For the Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tablsepoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Rainbow sprinkles
For the Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter , room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- Rainbow sprinkles , for decorating
For the Cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
In a large mixing bowl combine flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Slice the butter into pieces and add to the flour mixture. Mix on low until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
With the mixer on, add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the milk and vanilla and mix until batter is smooth. Fold in the sprinkles with a rubber spatula.
Fill the cupcake liners about two-thirds full. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before frosting.
For the Frosting
In a mixing bowl cream the butter for 5 minutes until light and fluffy, scraping the bowl down as needed. Gradually add the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Frost the cupcakes (I used a Wilton 1M tip) and add sprinkles as desired.