Easy baked Chicken Parmesan is breaded chicken topped with marinara sauce and mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Also tips for healthy chicken parm.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts , cut in half lengthwise to make 4*
- ½ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese , divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup Italian style bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 Tablespoons oil
- 24 ounces marinara sauce , or HOMEMADE
- 1 cup fresh shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil , for serving
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Cut your chicken breast in half horizontally. (This is often called “butterfly” cut. Place one hand on top of the breast and carefully run a knife through the center of the meat so you have two even, thin pieces of chicken.)
Pat chicken dry and season well on both sides with salt and pepper.
Add eggs to a shallow bowl and beat well. Add breadcrumbs, parmesan and garlic powder to another shallow bowl and stir to combine.
Dip each piece of chicken into the egg mixture, and then breadcrumbs, pressing the crumbs to adhere.
Add oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add breaded chicken and cook for about 2 minutes on each side, until golden, but not cooked through.
Spoon a thin layer of marinara sauce into a 9x13’’ baking pan, to cover the bottom of the pan. Place chicken on top.
Add a spoonful of marinara sauce over the chicken, followed by a sprinkle of mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly and chicken is cooked through (165 degrees F).
Garnish with fresh chopped basil. Serve over hot cooked spaghetti noodles, with extra sauce, if desired.
*If your chicken breasts are not thick enough to cut into halves you could place them between two pieces of plastic wrap and use a meat mallet or rolling pin to gently pound them evenly to 1/2 inch thick.
Chicken parmesan is best frozen BEFORE cooking. If you've already baked your chicken parmesan, it won't freeze and reheat well. I'd recommend storing it in the refrigerator and eating it as leftovers for 2-3 days.
- Follow the recipe directions up to step 5 (dredging) and place the breaded chicken in a greased, freezer safe foil pan. Add all chicken pieces and cover tightly. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To cook, pre-heat your oven to 400° Fahrenheit. Add the aluminum pan to the oven and bake, covered, for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Uncover the pan, pour marinara sauce over top, and sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan cheese on top. Bake for an additional 15-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through cheese is melted and bubbly.
Calories: 531kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 149mg | Sodium: 1672mg | Potassium: 926mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1159IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 404mg | Iron: 5mg