Italian Meatball Subs
Easy Italian Meatball Subs with homemade meatballs, baked and topped with a simple Italian marinara sauce, served on a toasted hoagie with melted cheese!
Prep Time35 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Servings: 5 people
For the meatballs
- 1/2 cup saltine crackers , crushed
- 1/4 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 large egg , lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound ground beef I use lean, or substitute lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour , for dredging
For the sandwiches
- 5 hoagies or sub rolls
- 10 slices Provolone cheeses , or mozzarella
For the sauce
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
Homemade Italian Meatballs:
In a large bowl combine all of the meatball ingredients together EXCEPT for the meat. Stir and rest for 10 minutes so the crackers can soak up the liquid. Add the meat and mix just until combined (don't over mix).
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Form 15 meatballs, about the size of golf balls, and gently sprinkle them all around with flour.
Place the meatballs one inch apart on the baking sheet and bake for 20 -25 minutes or until cooked through.
While the meatballs cook, make the sauce.
Meatball sub sauce:
Add all of the sauce ingredients to a saucepan and stir to combine. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
When the meatballs are finished baking, scrape any grease off the bottom of them and place them in the sauce.
Slice the hoagie rolls in half and layer with cheese. Broil on high for 2-3 minutes or until rolls are toasted and cheese is melted. Remove from oven.
Place 3 meatballs on each sub, followed by a large spoonful of sauce. Serve immediately.
*Tips for making ahead or freezing can be found above in the post.
Recipe adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Calories: 469kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 928mg | Potassium: 958mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 470IU | Vitamin C: 15.6mg | Calcium: 168mg | Iron: 8.7mg