Autumn Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
Autumn Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup with tomatoes, Italian sausage, and garbanzo beans is a delicious and healthy fall soup recipe!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1 small butternut squash , peeled and chopped into 1/2” cubes (about 3 cups)
- 2 small sweet potatoes , peeled and chopped into 1/2” cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoon. tomato paste
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 15 ounce can garbanzo beans , drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
Peel the squash and sweet potatoes and chop into half-inch cubes. You will want about 3 cups of each.
In a large stock pot over medium heat, sauté the onion until translucent; push to the side of the pan.
Add the sausage to the pot and brown. Remove grease, and set aside onto a plate.
Add to the pot: squash, sweet potatoes, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste.
Cook for approximately 7-10 min. or until squash and sweet potatoes are slightly firm on the outside but tender in the middle. Don’t overcook them or they will be mushy.
Reduce heat to low. Add cooked sausage, garbanzo beans, fennel, cumin and salt and pepper.
To make this soup vegetarian, omit the sausage and replace chicken broth with vegetable broth.
To Make Ahead:
Depending on the freshness of your vegetables and meat, you can make this soup 1-3 days ahead of time. You can make the entire soup ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator or prep the soup ahead of time by cutting the squash and sweet potatoes beforehand.
Calories: 385kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 1359mg | Potassium: 1033mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 17035IU | Vitamin C: 40.2mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 3.4mg