This easy Thai Yellow Curry is made with chicken and vegetables and served over steamed rice. This recipe can easily be made vegan or vegetarian!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 large onion , chopped
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts , cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 medium gold potatoes (or about 10 baby gold) ½’’ cubed
- 1 large carrot , thinly sliced
- 3-4 Tablespoons yellow curry paste
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 27 ounces coconut milk (2- 13.5 ounce cans)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1.5 tablespoons brown sugar
- Hot cooked rice , for serving (white, jasmine, brown)
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and/or siracha and serve over rice
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium low heat. Add the onion and saute for a few minutes until softened. Add the chicken, carrots, potatoes and cook for a minute or two. Add ginger, garlic and curry paste and saute for 3 minutes.
Add 1 ½ cans of coconut milk to the pot. Stir cornstarch into remaining ½ can of coconut milk and add to the pot.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken and potatoes are cooked through. Adjust the thickness of the curry by adding more water to thin, if needed.
Stir in the fish sauce, brown sugar and lime juice. Simmer 5 more minutes.
Serve with any type of rice (white, brown, and jasmine are my favorites) or over zoodles, spaghetti squash or quinoa.
Storing and Freeing Instructions:
For best results, store the yellow curry sauce in a separate container from the rice. Store both in air tight containers in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave.
Freeze curry in a freezer-safe container for 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat on the stove or in the microwave. Cook rice fresh for serving.
Calories: 640kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 48g | Saturated Fat: 37g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 298mg | Potassium: 1277mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 4813IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 98mg | Iron: 10mg