Chicken Shawarma Bowls
This middle eastern inspired Chicken shawarma recipe is easy to make from home, it's healthy and packed with awesome flavor.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 5 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 lemons , juiced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
- pinch ground cinnamon
- crushed red pepper flakes , to taste
- 1 red onion , roughly chopped
For the Bowls:
- 1/2 cup hummus , or whole chickpeas
- 1 English cucumber chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- fresh parsley leaves , chopped, for garnish
- feta cheese crumbles , for topping, optional
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 small piece English cucumber , peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper , to taste
Mix the shawarma marinade ingredients together and marinate the thighs for at least one hour or overnight.
Cook the jasmine rice according to package instructions. Make the tzatziki sauce by combining all the ingredients in a bowl.
When ready to cook the chicken, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a baking pan, remove the chicken from the marinade and place the chicken thighs and chopped red onion on the pan.
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until baked through. Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes before slicing thinly.
To serve, add a scoop of cooked rice to the bottom of your bowl. Top with chopped chicken and red onion, a few cucumbers and tomatoes, and a scoop of tzatziki sauce and hummus. Top with fresh chopped parsley, feta cheese, a little crushed red pepper, if desired.
Calories: 544kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 573mg | Potassium: 703mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 586IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 115mg | Iron: 3mg