Red Velvet Bundt Cake
Moist and tender Red Velvet Bundt Cake with cream cheese frosting. Add some chocolate chips for a an even more delicious chocolate flavor.
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time1 hr 15 mins
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1/3 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 ounce liquid red food coloring
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips , optional
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 16 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar , to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a bundt pan, set aside.
To a mixing bowl add flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder and whisk well to combine.
In another bowl add the sugar and butter and cream together with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, 4-5 minutes.
Add oil and mix. Add eggs and yolks, one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add vanilla, vinegar and red food coloring.
Add about 1/3 of the flour mixture and stir to combine.
Add half of the buttermilk and stir to combine. Repeat, alternately adding the flour and then buttermilk, ending with flour.
Fold in chocolate chips, if using. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to make sure everything is incorporated.
Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and smooth into an even layer. Bake in preheated oven for 40-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Cool in cake pan for 10 minutes and then invert onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Once cool, run a knife around the edges of the cake to loosen and invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
For the frosting:
Beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Add vanilla. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until frosting has the consistency and taste you desire.
Frosting can be made days in advance. Refrigerate in an airtight container.
MAKE AHEAD, STORING AND FREEZING INSTRUCTIONS:
- Make the frosting up to several days ahead of time.
- Store, covered, in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freeze (frosted or unfrosted), covered well, for up to 3 months.
Calories: 869kcal | Carbohydrates: 104g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 46g | Saturated Fat: 24g | Cholesterol: 175mg | Sodium: 424mg | Potassium: 169mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 79g | Vitamin A: 1300IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 117mg | Iron: 2.3mg