Dark Chocolate Cake
This is the Dark Chocolate Cake of my DREAMS! Tender, moist homemade chocolate cake with the best smooth, rich, dark chocolate frosting.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time55 mins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder (I love to use the Hershey's Special dark, but regular works)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 3 large eggs , room temperature
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
Dark Chocolate Frosting:
- 5 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1 /3 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter , softened to room temperature
- 12 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the cake:
Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease three 9-inch cake pans (I like to cut a circle of parchment paper for the bottom of the pan to make sure it doesn't stick). Set aside.
In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
Add milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix until well combined.
Slowly add boiling water to the cake batter, while stirring. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute. The batter will be very thin.
Pour cake batter evenly between the three cake pans.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes of the cake comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack.
For the frosting:
Stir together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. In a separate mixing bowl beat the butter on medium speed until pale, about 2 minutes.
Gradually add the sugar/cocoa mixture alternating with the heavy cream and vanilla, beating after each addition, until you reach your desired frosting consistency.
Beat on high speed for 3 minutes, until creamy.
Calories: 887kcal | Carbohydrates: 144g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 572mg | Potassium: 542mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 105g | Vitamin A: 680IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 131mg | Iron: 4.9mg