Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
Easy and delicious Roasted Tomato Soup, just like my favorite soup from Panera!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr 40 mins
Total Time2 hrs
- 3 pounds. ripe plum tomatoes cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small yellow onions chopped (about 2 cups)
- 5 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 28 ounce can whole plum tomatoes , undrained
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves , packed, then chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Optional soup garnishes: sour cream grilled cheese, grated parmesan, fresh basil
Preheat the oven to 400F.
Toss the tomatoes with ¼ cup olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Layer on a baking sheet in a single layer.
Roast in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium heat, sauté the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, butter, and red pepper flakes until onion is translucent and starts to brown, about 10 minutes.
Add the canned plum tomatoes, chopped basil, thyme, and chicken stock. Add the oven roasted tomatoes, including the juices from the pan.
Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes, uncovered.
Taste and add salt and pepper or more thyme or basil as needed.
Transfer the soup to a blender or large food processor and puree until smooth.
Serve with fresh grated parmesan cheese on top and a side of cheesy bread!
Calories: 189kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 215mg | Potassium: 815mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 2700IU | Vitamin C: 40.1mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1.4mg