Spicy Chicken Soup
This tex-mex inspired Spicy Chicken Soup is bursting with rich, deep flavor. It's hearty, and deliciously comforting. A family favorite.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time50 mins
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon paste (or 3 bullion cubes)
- 8 ounces salsa , your favorite kind
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes , undrained
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 15 ounce can corn (or frozen), drained
- 16 ounce can chili beans
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Cilantro, shredded cheese, and avocado for soup garnish
In a large pot over medium heat, combine water, chicken, salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, onion powder and bouillon cubes.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken, but reserve broth. Shred chicken.
In a large pot over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in olive oil until slightly browned.
Stir in salsa, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar, chili powder, cumin, corn, chili beans, shredded chicken, and 3 1/2 cups of the reserved water. Simmer 30 minutes.
Stir in sour cream. Taste and add extra salt, or additional seasonings, if needed.
Garnish with cilantro, cheese, avocado, crushed tortilla chips, or whatever you like!
Calories: 314kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 1567mg | Potassium: 1069mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 1520IU | Vitamin C: 15.9mg | Calcium: 124mg | Iron: 3.7mg