Honey-Lime Chipotle Chicken Fajita Bowls
Honey-lime chipotle chicken fajita bowls served over cilantro lime rice with black beans, and topped with a chipotle cream sauce.
Prep Time4 hrs 10 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time4 hrs 45 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, garlic powder, liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
For the Veggies:
- ½ red onion , roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper , roughly chopped
- 1 green bell pepper , roughly chopped
- 1 cup corn , fresh, canned or frozen-thawed
Cilantro Lime Rice and Black Beans
- 2 Tablespoons oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- ½ cup red onion , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1½ cups long grain white rice (*see note below)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 15 ounce can black beans , drained and rinsed
- dash of salt
- juice from 1-2 limes
- ½ cup fresh cilantro , chopped
Chipotle Lime Sour Crema
- 3/4 cup sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sauce from a can of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce , or more to taste
- salt , to taste
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro , finely chopped
Mix marinade ingredients together.
If you're using thick chicken breasts, pound them thin with a meat mallet or rolling pin, or slice them horizontally in half.
Place chicken and veggies in separate ziplock bags. Pour half of the marinade mixture into each bag.
Refrigerate vegetables and chicken for one hour, or up to 8 hours.
For the Rice:
When ready to cook, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pan over medium heat.
Add onion and saute for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, until golden, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic, cumin and salt and cook for 30 seconds.
Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, stir in the black beans, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove from heat. Remove lid and squeeze juice from 1 lime over the rice, but do NOT stir. Return lid and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
Then, remove lid, sprinkle with cilantro and fluff gently with a fork. (Don't "stir" it, just fluff it with a fork so it doesn't get mushy.)
For the Chicken:
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once skillet is hot, remove chicken from ziplock bag, discard marinade and add to skillet.
Cook for 2-3 minutes on one side, or until nicely browned. Turn chicken over, cover and reduce heat to medium.
Cook until chicken is cooked through (about 5 more minutes, depending on the thickness).
Remove to a cutting board and allow to rest 3-5 minutes before slicing.
For the Fajita Vegetables:
While chicken is resting, add another splash of oil to the same skillet over medium heat.
Drain vegetables in a colander to remove excess marinade.
Add vegetables to the hot skillet and saute, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes, until warmed through. I like them to still have a little crunch.
*Brown rice may also be used, but increase the cook time to about 40 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
Calories: 601kcal | Carbohydrates: 85g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 1182mg | Potassium: 735mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 1950IU | Vitamin C: 85.7mg | Calcium: 95mg | Iron: 2.2mg